Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #1 
ale89

Do I need a grow out tank???

Hi everyone,
So three weeks ago I had my first spawn, the fry are now 3 weeks old and seem to be doing well on bbs. I read somewhere that around 4 weeks some people put the fry in a large grow out tank for a while. Is this necessary/encouraged? I only have 10 babies and they are currently in a 10 gallon tank, should I put them in something larger next week or are they fine there? Also my biggest baby is like 4 times the size of the smallest one, is that normal? I think I saw somewhere that that may be related to growth slowing hormones and that I should do frequent water changes, I started changing 1/3 -1/2 of the water everyday, should I be changing more? are there any other tips for this? All your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading
ale89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #2 
mernincrazy8525

you are doing fine. With the growout tanks, fry release growth stopping hormones so a bigger tank means less concentrations of these hormones which is why they grow faster, but if you are performing water changes everyday then id say you are doing fine.and the size difference is normal.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #3 
ale89

ok thanks for the help!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

IMO YES. Growouts give them SPACE to grow which is important. I was doing 90% water changes on a spawn of 20 in a 16 gallon tub on a daily basis and I never got them to adult size but I have a spawn of 15 in a 29 gallon with a 1/3 water change once a week and a lot of food and they're gettin to adult size at just over 4 months.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #5 
ale89

thanks for your input, I will probably switch them over to a grow out tank next week, I cant wait to see them all grown up already
Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

No prob. Growouts are very important for growing fish...a lot of people look them over.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote