Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #11 
Bettaluver4evr

The liquid I am using is a deep blue that stains anything it touches, but it turns clear when dissolved in water. I can't do 100% water changes everyday on a 3 gallon tank, but I'll do partials every day and a 100% either today or tomorrow.
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #12 
LolaQuigs

Do you have a smaller container you can use for qt and float in the main tank? Frequent water changes are extremely important for ich, because you want to get all of those parasites out of there.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #13 
elijahfeathers

100% water changes are really key to treating ich. Even if you have to put your fish in a coffee mug or something for 4-5 mins to do them. Leaving water in leaves in parasites and such.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

Floating him in a qt would be best, you need to do water changes everyday to remove the parasites that fall off and the free swimming larval stage before they can attach to him... Also, If you do remove him you cannot reintroduce him to the tank for 7+ days so that the remaining parasites in the tank will die off (they die without a fish host...). But in that time you can treat him.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #15 
Bettaluver4evr

Hmmm... I have a half gallon vase, would that work? I could do 100% (haha, had a typo and put 1100%, wow!) on that daily much easier. I am about to go to publix, so when I get back I will let you guys know what happens. I think I will put him in the half gallon vase with the med's I have right now, and scrubby dub dub the 3 gallon with soap and the decor and everything with hot water, and let that air dry. If he gets better, he can go in there again and everything will be nice and clean. If he dies, I'll cry alot, do a little funeral, and then I should be able to get a new lil guy or girl. Whatever happens, I will be optimistic. Thank you guys very much for your help!
Old 05-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #16 
laughing

AQ salt, warm water, and cleanliness I feel can cure anything.

I got LOTS of misinformation before when I had my mollies. They got infested with ich. Something else, too, I'm thinking internal parasites. I talked to about 5 different people (2 pet store employees and 3 I found to be reliable) and did it all wrong. They were in a 20 gallon and I was told not to clean it out, (except from, who knew?, 1 pet store employee) so I didn't. I just flooded them with medications. And now I'm down to 3 fish and 2 look SO sickly. I lost 4 females. I was told not to use AQ salt, and I kept the water cold. *sigh*

The warm water also helps boost their immune system. The AQ salt definitely lowers their stress (helping boost their immune system) and helps give them "fighting power"! And the clean water helps rid the ich away! (Plus it keeps them happy and comfortable.)

I thought I spotted ich on my female (from switching her around so much) so I immediately washed everything down completely, removed her live plants to a QT bowl, gave her clean very balanced water, and some AQ salt. I kept her water at 82*. After acclimating her and putting her back in, I've never seen her act lathargic nor seen any sign of disease. I'll never know if it was ich or not, but I know I did right by her instead of what happened to my poor mollies!

I hope he makes it, I really do. Losing fish is never easy. Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #17 
LolaQuigs

Don't clean with soap, the residue can be extremely harmful. While he is in qt the parasites in his main tank should starve without a host. But if you want to play it really safe, you can clean his tank, decor, etc. with a diluted bleach mixture (1 part bleach, ten parts water). Just make sure you rinse really really well afterward. Also make sure the vase you will be qting him in has never been cleaned with soap or detergent.

Good luck with your treatment!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #18 
Bettaluver4evr

Hey guys. I just came back in to check on him after mothers day dinner. He had crammed himself sideways under his cave and was gasping for breath, opening his mouth. I gently moved the cave a bit and he freaked out and got some air, then he swam right back down and began desperately rubbing against his cave. I think I have been to late to do anything. :( I don't think he's going to make it. :'( I am so sorry guys. Thank you all so much for your help. If he's gone when I wake up, I will be bleaching his tank in hopeful preparation for a new little guy or girl. But I can't believe it, it's all my fault. The tank was in medium light and the top of his tank was dark, I couldn't see him unless I put an LED flashlight up to him. I never thought to do this until last night. He had been acting perfect until before then, you know... I'm so sorry, Dumbo.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #19 
LolaQuigs

Have you moved him to the qt container yet? The smaller container will make it easier for him to surface and get air.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #20 
RayneForhest

How's he doing today? I just lost Mr Fishy Fishy to ick. He was having the same symptoms.

The medicine didnt work quick enough. I'm just glad he aint suffering anymore. He put up a good fight.
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote