What size is your tank?
1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
betta bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
2-3x 100% weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime 2 drops

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
no, change too often to have a stable reading

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH:n/a
Hardness:n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
bloated belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? keeps floating to the top of the water and wont swim around
When did you start noticing the symptoms? since I switched from Aquasafe conditioner to prime -about three days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1 tablespoon of AQ salt and 1 tablspoon of epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no clue
How old is your fish (approximately)? no clue

I only had him for a few weeks. I am keeping him in the 1 gallon because I wanted to QT him before I add him to my splited tank (he's a Walmart fish). He stays at the top, gasp for air occasionally, he is not pineconed, he does swim a little jerky, if I run my finger along the glass he swims around crazy no clue of to what is going on none of my other fish acted this way. at times I think he already passed. Wondering if I should just euthanize him if he doesnt have a chance
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #2 
LolaQuigs

Bloating and buoyancy issues make me think this is a swim bladder issue. I would start him on an epsom salt treatment. Use 1 tsp epsom salt (available at drug stores) per gallon for two days, then increase it to two tsp for eight days. Make daily 100% water changes throughout treatment.

To prevent this issue from reoccurring I suggest sticking to the amount you're feeding, but break it uo into two meals per day to give him time to digest. I also like to fast my bettas one day a week to give their digestive systems a rest.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #3 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Bloating and buoyancy issues make me think this is a swim bladder issue. I would start him on an epsom salt treatment. Use 1 tsp epsom salt (available at drug stores) per gallon for two days, then increase it to two tsp for eight days. Make daily 100% water changes throughout treatment.

To prevent this issue from reoccurring I suggest sticking to the amount you're feeding, but break it uo into two meals per day to give him time to digest. I also like to fast my bettas one day a week to give their digestive systems a rest.
Update: Well thank you for the one and only comment I got lol he is doing a lot better now, swimming around and acting normal. I did take some pictures and was going to upload them but since he got better I didnt feel the need to. His body is a white color and when the light is on him you can kinda see inside him...it look like he had a bubble or cyst inside him. Im thinking it was swim bladder too. I actually did not feed him for the three days he was acting this way anyways agian I thank you for the comment I appreciate it!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #4 
carzz

switch back to the other conditioner and give him a pea.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #5 
Silverfang

good to hear he is looking better. Also, would try fasting before any peas. He might be more sensitive to the change in conditioner.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #6 
tsoto80

would a change in conditioner do that to him though? I thought I killed him at first by putting too much in the bowl
Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #7 
inkrealm

a little late reply I know but,
in response to your question, I know Prime does several things AquaSafe doesn't,
changes things in thew water, adds things, takes out extra things... so it made have changed one of his levels, PH, etc.
since I can't remember the rest let's use PH as the example;
so if it changed the PH, it's really a lot like water temp change, if you just exposed him right to it, instead of getting him used to it, then just like sudden water temp change it might have freaked him and his system.... that's why a lot of people like to use the drip method to acclimate their fish rather than just floating, this gets them used to temperature AND allows them to ajust to whatever the new water may be like compared to their old water.
and as they said you might also break up the four pellets to two in morning and two at night, don't forget their stomachs are the size of their eye or smaller, that's a lot to cram in all at once. ^-^ breaking it up gives the first meal time to digest a little to make space for the second, but still gives him a good full daily feeding ^-^
one day of fasting a week never hurt either. makes mine cranky x3 but is good for him in the long run ^-^ hope he's doing well :D
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote