Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #1 
ParisRose

Divider Trouble

Few quick things.
1. Church broke through the divider in the 10 gal. I don't know how or when but when I came home he was on Asher's side and I had a bloody heart attack! I currently have him in a 2 gal hex tank as punishment and Asher is in a QT tank so I can monitor their wounds. Any other help would be appreciated.

On a different note I'm having temperature issues. I live in Nebraska and we have two-three seasons. Summer Fall and Winter. It went from Winter to Summer and it's really hard to keep their tanks cool. Even at room temp the thermometer is reading close to 85F. It's uncomfortable in my room as a human. I need to get the temp down but how? I'm afraid this is just the start of summer and it will be able to spike the water to 90 degrees F. That would kill the poor things.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #2 
Siamese Fighting Fish

Haha I love it, punishment XD.
On an on topic note, do some basic Epsom Salt treatment on both, and after all is cured, get them 2 proper seperate tanks. I can't believe I am saying this, but in your case you might need the opposite of a heater... a COOLER (if it exists).
Siamese Fighting Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #3 
ParisRose

Do they make those? It'd be a great idea. I haven't seen them though. Oh get this! The big one has bitten his tail so he looks like he was injured in a fight...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #4 
denaliwind

Water coolers do exist for aquariums but they're really, really expensive. I've heard of members floating cups with ice cubes in the tanks to help cool the water down although I've also read that 85*F water isn't anything to worry about if it was a gradual rise since the bettas can adjust pretty well. Of course I think the bacteria also like warmer water... :P Also, Aquarium salt is good for injuries, 1tsp per gallon premixed with conditioned water.

Good luck and stay cool! XD
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #5 
russalka

I had a betta that snuck through the side of the divider. So far, aquarium sealant has fixed it. I did have to drain the tank, let it dry, and let the aquarium sealant cure before putting it back together. So both fish had to be temporarily in other containers for a couple of days.

Also, +1 on the aquarium salt. Aquarium salt should not be used past 10 days.
russalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #6 
SillyCone

put ice cubes and make them try to kill it and get their lips stuck on it.

Hahaha, just joking xD

also, maybe he jumped to the other side? Post a photo of the aquarium and the divider
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Cooler meaning leave your heater off. Duh.

-__________-; Dont let it drop below 76'.

Keeping the tank 76-77' will discourage bacterial growth and infections. Add 1 tsp/gallon of Aquarium salt to heal the fish. If very serious wounds (missing scales, huge chunks of fin gone, open flesh wounds) add 2-3 tsp/gallon of salt, due to its severity. Pre-mix the salt before adding it in.

If the wounds are really bad, and you use 3tsp/gallon, add in 2 tsp/gallon into the tank, then an hour later, add in the test of the dose. (Ex. in a 2 gallon, add in 4 tsp in the begining, then, later, add in 2 tsp more.)

Change the water each day, and redose. Youre better off putting the hurt one in the smaller container to make medicating easier, as well as water changes, which need to be frequent.

Btw, its not really punishing him...He's a fish, he doesnt know.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #8 
briser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Cooler meaning leave your heater off. Duh.

-__________-; Dont let it drop below 76'.

Keeping the tank 76-77' will discourage bacterial growth and infections. Add 1 tsp/gallon of Aquarium salt to heal the fish. If very serious wounds (missing scales, huge chunks of fin gone, open flesh wounds) add 2-3 tsp/gallon of salt, due to its severity. Pre-mix the salt before adding it in.

If the wounds are really bad, and you use 3tsp/gallon, add in 2 tsp/gallon into the tank, then an hour later, add in the test of the dose. (Ex. in a 2 gallon, add in 4 tsp in the begining, then, later, add in 2 tsp more.)

Change the water each day, and redose. Youre better off putting the hurt one in the smaller container to make medicating easier, as well as water changes, which need to be frequent.

Btw, its not really punishing him...He's a fish, he doesnt know.
Um, I find the beginning of this post kinda rude... He/She was asking for help because the water is too warm, and the way they said "it's uncomfortable for a human" kind of implies that they probably don't have a heater in the tank.. They were honestly just asking for help.. You could have been a little nicer. :\

Also, I think the punishment thing was more of a joke..

Anyway, Good luck with you fish, and floating a cup with ice cubes is a great way to cool it down a bit.
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #9 
Neil D

Ice cubes could work, but wouldn't it be a sudden drop? Keep the lights/heater(s) off. Here in WI, its only 70* compared to 90* over there. Bettas can handle temps up to 86* I've heard. Good luck!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #10 
ParisRose

Yeah the outside temp hit triple digits yesterday. I'm keeping the small one in a half gal. It's possible he could've jumped. Though I think he'd get some head injury. The tank did have a heater but it was a Fluval adjustable that turned on and off on it's own. Even at room temp when I came home they were sitting at 85-90 degrees. Though my sister just now opened the vent. =/ I really hope it cools off. I know he doesn't truly realize it but he'll realize the lack of filteration and that most of his decorations are missing. Also, the little guy has something hanging between his beard. It's dead center between the two gill flap things. It looks almost like dead skin would. Kinda white with a black dot. Is it injury or maybe just some sort of shedding deal?