Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 PM   #1 
greeneyedpixie

My Betta is freaking out! Help!

Hey everyone,

I'm very new here but have kept Bettas before very successfully. I have a 23 litre tank that has been cycling nicely with 2 loaches and 4 mini neon tetras. Temp hangs between 75-78 (currently 76.5).

I bought a new Betta today, in the store he looked beautifully healthy, swimming inquisitively with no tears or nips on his tail. I got him home and he just won't stop flaring and attacking his reflection on the walls of the tank (specifically the back wall) by the heater/filter. He hasn't eaten, and nothing I seem to do will distract him! I'm scared he's going to stress himself to death!

Is this normal behaviour? I've heard its because he's in a new environment and will settle in a few days, but my previous Bettas have never done this! Help is much appreciated!

Emmy xx

(edit) ps. i've tried him with lights on and off, and filter on and off! nothing seems to be helping!

Last edited by greeneyedpixie; 05-08-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: extra information
greeneyedpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

I guess you can say it is "normal behavior" but it sounds like you might need to help him settle in. You can try tapping paper around the tank so he can't see his reflection anymore.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #3 
greeneyedpixie

hi, thank you :) I have a Fluval Edge and the problem seems to be where the back back plate is on the tank which i can't put paper over. Unfortunately the tank is partially mirrored everywhere, especially the back!

Do you think he'll get used to his reflection after a few days? Is there anything else I can do to help regarding the lights/filter? At the minute the lights are on and the filter is off as it seemed to be stressing him further.

Would a background for the back wall be a good idea

Thanks again! :) x
Old 05-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #4 
DarkMoon17

A background might help but he will get used to his reflection over time.

You didn't fill the Fluval Edge all the way to the top right? He might be stressed because there isn't enough "surface" for him to breath at.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #5 
greeneyedpixie

I've left space at the top, planning to gradually fill it to 'train' him to go to where the gap at the top is, he seems to go there anyway, i think he likes the little waterfall.

I've put some card behind it and turned the lights off and he seems to be exploring a bit more now, just coming back to make sure the mean reflection knows where to stay :P

Thank you x
Old 05-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #6 
Silverfang

regarding the not eating yet, it seems it can take a few days for them to settle into their new home. So don't be too upset unless he doesn't eat for a few days.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote