Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #1 
Kisa

Omicron's tail is all torn up :(

I'm beginning to think owning a betta is bad for my health. I woke up and had heart palpitations. My betta's tail is all shredded. The only thing I did recently is a 100% water change last night. It was 100% instead of the scheduled 25% because it looked a little cloudy. There's nothing in the tank that's new. I don't know what tail biting looks like so I might post a picture when I get home.
Kisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

I have a tailbiter. I have moved stuff around. Added new things. It doesn't help so I just make sure he has clean water and let him be. He acts perfectly happy so I am not too worried about it. Pictures will help us verify for you that it is tailbiting. :)
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #3 
Kisa

Here's what he looked like before:

And what he looks like now:

This happened overnight! I guess he's not stressed because when I came home, he had been busy building a bubble nest... still. He looks pitiful. :(

Last edited by Kisa; 05-11-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Kisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #4 
Silverfang

Those look like chewed on fins to me, I think we have a biter. There are three main theories behind tail biting, and the first two are just complete opposites. It could be stress, or boredom, or it could be he finds his fins too heavy for him.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #5 
ansalong

Yup, I agree with Silverfang. My guy is also a biter. He heals up quickly, and then bites the end of his tail back off. He is otherwise happy and healthy (and feisty). In my fish's case I think it is too heavy for him, he is really small. If you think he might be stressed you can keep him dark and quiet for a few days.

PS. He is beautiful!
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Hi, I joined the forum because my betta Sherman has a similar problem. I did a huge water change that may have stressed him because the next day, his fins were ragged. Thought he might have caught it on a new decoration I added but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone actually seen their betta biting its fins?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #7 
Tisia

I caught mine doing it, he sat near the back of his tank and did a few circles while grabbing at it. it's pretty frustrating, he stopped long enough for it to seem like he had a bit of regrowth, then bit even more off
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Hmm. I will keep an eye on mine to make sure he's not "chasing his tail." I tried to take a picture but he's being uncooperative, just kept cruising back and forth along the glass. I just did a complete change of water and have been using Stress Coat, so hopefully that will help.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:36 PM   #9 
Silverfang

In my experience clean water, stress coat, and a high protein diet help with fin regrowth. Live or frozen (not freeze dried) foods, bloodworms, daphnia, some people use mosquito larvae, uh, bbs, was even suggested to try live fry (of course my pet shop had none thankfully, woulda been... weird).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Why not freeze dried?