Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #1 
Landon21
Banned

traveling with bettas

im moving back home from oklahoma city to texarkana texas and will be traveling by bus. the distance between the two cities is about 5 hours but take into consideration there may be a lay over of up to five hours in dallas. my question is; how can i take my pair of plakats with me? should i just go up to the petstore and purchase a couple 'betta cups' like they use to display their bettas and put them in my bag or what? how risky is this? i dont want anything to happen to these bettas... any help would be appreciated!
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

I would put them in a plastic container to prevent injury... You an use the plastic containers form petco/petsmart but the lids aren't very secure. I like the 1/2 gallon plastic cookie containers from walmart since they have nice and secure screw on lids.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #3 
Landon21
Banned

good idea, maybe some small rubber maid containers? i dont think temperature would be an issue, its going to be in the 80s-90s....?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Pack them like your shipping them or get a styrofoam cooler and bag them and place them in the cooler with plenty of padding.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #5 
Landon21
Banned

i dont have the money to go out and by bags and shipping supplies, couldnt i just place them in containers in my bad like the other guy said?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #6 
orphansparrow

i'm not sure how important the containers are, but if you do put them in your bag, i think you may want to consider lowering the water a little, so while you travel, it isn't sloshing all over your stuff. :3
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #7 
laughing

I think the simplest way is to just stick them into some containers. Remember, they do need air! So don't "seal tight" their cups/tubberware/etc.

You can easily place them in a cardboard box and stuff the box with something so they don't slosh so much and reducing stress on them. And if they do slosh it won't be on your stuff!

Good luck! They should be fine! They're hardy little guys ;)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #8 
laughing

I would like to add their care once you GET home is the major thing. Make sure you slowly, very very slowly, acclimate them. Add some AQ salt, keep their water warm, and just be careful not to stress them out. I wouldn't even keep light on them for a few hours.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #9 
Landon21
Banned

thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #10 
bamsuddenimpact

What I would do is go into Petsmart/Petco and ask for the fish bags. Fill it with their tank water, put them in, blow the rest of the bag out, rubber band them and if you have a shoe box or other square container put the bags in there and secure with some towels/shirts. Hold on lap or if done well enough, put in your bag. I do this when I drive them from my apt to my parents house 1.5 hrs away. Also, I put a paper towel between the bags to prevent flaring. Good luck.
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote