Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #1 
derpmeister

Brown algae woes!

Hi all!

I'm having some brown algae troubles and I haven't been able to find much help. It is thin and grows in places where it can get light, but I have read that brown algae doesn't like light. It has taken hold on all of my decoration and is spreading on the gravel.

My setup is a 10 gallon heated to 80 degrees with a Top Fin 10 filter. The tank's only inhabitant is my betta Toki. I do weekly 10% water changes and use Stress Coat to treat the new water before it goes in the tank. There is very good fluorescent lighting but no natural light. No live plants. The tank has been set up for 8 months and has cycled.

As for parameters, I use test strips and the colors for nitrate isn't even on the decoder so I have no idea. :/

Any tips or help would be appreciated-- I am going to get a live plant today.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

Algae is a massive pain in the butt! I think first you should increase the amount of water you are changing to 25% or even 50%. Scrub any algae off tank and clean decor with each water change. Is you nitrat so high it isn't on the color chart?? Cause it should be 20 ppm or lower. I've heard marimo balls are good for algae. The plants I have havent helped thus far.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like diatoms and since it just started in a somewhat mature cycled tank...it may be too old light bulbs or the lights are not on long enough....

I would get a new light bulb and since you are planning on live plants- I would get a bulb that is 6500 kelvin daylight for best plant growth

I would also increase your water changes-rub the diatoms off and vacuum them out with a 50% weekly water change and this will also help with the high nitrates....

Diatoms and other algae are just part of a tank full of water that has both light and nutrients....since its a closed system we the hobbyist have to keep them under control with regular cleanings......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #4 
derpmeister

Thanks very much for the responses. I bought a marimo ball and I am going to purchase some floating anacharis after doing some more research for their needs. I also have two Coralife Colormax bulbs which say they are 6700K full spectrum lamps.

I scrubbed all the diatoms off the decor with an old toothbrush. I will be increasing the amount of water that I change, too. Thanks again!
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #5 
Alphafish

Wow... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-5bnHOv7Iw!!!! I love your pretty fish video. I want japanese decorations like that, I think the Buddha would be easy to get(I already have some but they where expensive and my parents wouldn't let me put one in my future aquarium). I really like that red door arch thing that I saw near shrines when I went to Japan several years ago(I forget what they're called?). Where did you get it?
Has it ever hurt the fish? Doesn't look like it, the edges seem pretty rounded. Is it wooden? There might be a risk of it decaying, but probably not any time soon...That is so cool.

Last edited by Alphafish; 05-09-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: error
Alphafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #6 
SomeDudeAtHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
Algae is a massive pain in the butt! I think first you should increase the amount of water you are changing to 25% or even 50%. Scrub any algae off tank and clean decor with each water change. Is you nitrat so high it isn't on the color chart?? Cause it should be 20 ppm or lower. I've heard marimo balls are good for algae. The plants I have havent helped thus far.

Just so you know marimo balls do not help against algae. They are a type of algae but will not out compete other algae. They are like any other plant and the brown algae can grow on top of them. Also they shouldn't be kept in tanks above 78F and most betta tanks are warmer.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, betta, brown