Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #1 
DarkMoon17

Finrot not responding to Salt?

So, it seems Nino has himself a stubborn case of fin rot. I don't have a lot of experience with fin rot since I'm so strict when it comes to water changes. The cases I have had all responded well to just clean water and stress coat and healed within a week or two since I begin treatment immediately. Nino on the other hand has different plans.

Tank setup:
10 gallon divided (4 bettas), gravel, live plants, 78*F, filtered.
Normal water change schedule: 50% water changes twice per week.
Water Perimeters: All zero, tested daily since fin rot was first seen. Tested twice per week normally.
Tank mates (all bettas, separated of course) are all healthy and fin rot free.

I take a ton of pictures so I actually have a timeline for his fin rot. It first occurred literally over night. He lost large chunks but only from his dorsal fin. I then began 50% water changed every other day and added stress coat to his 10 gallon tank. He responded well to that. His dorsal grew back within 5 days... but I noticed red tips on his anal and caudal fins later that day. I continued with the water changes & stress coat but when he started to lose some from his caudal/anal I decided to try a salt treatment which I have never actually used on fin rot before but read about it here (salt, 75% water changes every other day w/ stress coat). His fins look worse today after 6 days of salt treatment then they did before. Maybe he doesn't handle salt well? I have now placed him in a specimen container in his tank, salt, stress coat and 100% water changes daily. He is otherwise healthy and eating a protein high diet of atision's betta pro, frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp.

Any suggestions? I know you should not continue salt treatment for more than 10 days. Should I stop now? I don't usually keep halfmoons on gravel, could that be the cause of the fin rot on his caudal/anal fins? Even though it appears to occur mostly along his dorsal line... Or is it possible that he is a fin nipper? I've never had a fin nipper before so I don't know what to look for with that. If nothing else, the timeline might help someone. All suggestions appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

4/22 No Fin Rot though you can see weakening of the dorsal tips where it would later tear off.

4/23 WHAT!!??? Overnight appearance of fin rot--he does not have popeye, I think it is just the angle of the photo....

4/25 After 2 days of increased water changes, stress coat

4/30: Dorsal almost back to normal, red tips on caudal/anal- Began salt treatment

5/1: Red tips gone, looks to be healing...

5/8: Regression after 6 days of salt treatment-moved to specimen container
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Right, so Nino's fin rot shows no sign of improvement. We hit the 10 day mark with the salt treatment so I switched to Tetracycline combined with stress coat. He is in a specimen container, floating in my community tank. I change the water 100% twice per day... If anything it has gotten worse. The tips are always red and bloody and the only affected areas are the dorsal and the top of the caudal. He also appears to be getting scale damage despite the fact that there is nothing for him to hurt himself on in this container (see the black splotches on his sides (not the ones on his face, those are natural) those weren't there a few days ago-see picks). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #3 
iheartmybettas

Wish I could help but you are doing everything you should be. I have heard of using Maracyn 1 & 2 combined for persistant fin rot. That's all I've got. I hope he gets better!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #4 
Tisia

he might be biting. the chunks missing in the pic from 4/23 especially look quite a bit like the way my Sven's looked when he decided his tail was nom
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #5 
iheartmybettas

If the tail is bleeding though, that usually means severe fin rot case, right rather than tail biting? My tail biter doesn't ever have blood just crappy looking fins. Even when he demolished his dorsal.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #6 
Silverfang

it's hard to tell from the pictures, and the horrible lightning in this room, but if the fin edges are looking black then probably fin rot. If the ends look "feathery" it could be biting.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Sorry about the late response, I am currently traveling (ugh)
I'm assuming that it is fin rot because of the bloody tips. There is some blackening, which also indicates fin rot but it never lasts long and goes right to torn bloody tips. Has anyone seen fin tearing/biting turn into bacterial fin rot? I'm thinking the first tears were not due to fin rot but got infected?

Thank you iheartmybettas, I'll finish the tetracycline cycle then try the Maracyn combo if it doesn't work.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #8 
Harley

Hmmm. That's a tricky one for sure. How much salt are you using? My box recommends 1 tblsp per 5g but OFL usually suggests 1 tblsp per gallon I think. Harley's fin rot did get better and then regressed (still a work in progress) like your fish. I didn't have any luck with it initially but its been about 2-3 weeks and now I'm trying aquarium salt again. The frequent 100% water changes are best for fin rot but it may be something else in addition. I didn't have luck with Maracyn and Maracyn II either but maybe its worth a try too. I can't see the gravel being a problem unless its not fully clean and is maybe hiding something bad in it. Are you / were you vacuuming it?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Quick Update, I think the tips might be less bloody. I wasn't able to heat his tank during travel so I believe it slowed down whatever is eating away at his fins. I'm pretty sure it is bacterial now. We'll see...

I'm using the 1 tblsp per gallon dose. I might try the higher dose instead of a new medicine though... I'm still doing the 100% daily water changes (sometimes twice per day). I cleaned the gravel thoroughly each week with a vacuum so I'm still confused about the cause! haha oh well, I'm going to do some extra water changes on the divided tank for a few weeks to cut down on any possible bacteria colonies. Hopefully that keeps the other guys from getting any infections.