Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #1 
Petunia87

Betta spitting food out, not sure whats wrong :(

I have had her for about 11 months with no problems. I have not changed anything but the last 2 feedings she has been taking her pellets and spitting them out. This happened about 4 or 5 times and I finally removed her food. She is acting very normal. She may be spending a little more time at the bottom then normal and may be a little bloated but I think this is more me being paranoid that something is wrong. She normally gobbles her food right up and then begs me for more. Please help. Thanks

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? sheís the only fish in there

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits (5 days a week 3 in the am and 3 in the pm) and Freeze Dried Blood Worms (1-2 every other week on Sundays)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
35% once a week and 50% every other week with a tank clean
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No change noted. She may be a tiny bit swollen but I think this is more me being paranoid.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? The last two feedings (yesterday pm and this morning) she would eat her pellets and then spit them out and then try and eat them again and spit them out again. This happened 4 or 5 times so I took the food away and she has been fasting for about 24 hours.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night around 9:30
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? She is fasting and I am doing a 50% water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year
Petunia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #2 
SillyCone

I can't help much you need to wait for the experts but for what I've read here some quick answers:

if the betta is new to your home she/he can be still adapting to the place and may not be eating (?) although I don't think this is your problem.

You can try other times of food, bloodworms are a nice choice, you can buy them as the pet-stores.

If she's a bit bloated, once a week try to fast her, don't give her any food at all for 1 day, don't worry she won't die, not even starve. Some fishes here (at the website) fasted for a whole week before eating! Lol!

Anyway, try bloodworms, they are cheap! tease your betta to eat them, it's a bit scary and tricky but get one and put it near the water and hold it, make your betta jump to get it, is scary but works haha.

After you get bored you can just put the food normally.

I hope that helps meanwhile!
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Try getting her smaller pellets. Akira will not eat anything bigger then a piece of brine shrimp and even then I have to scramble to make it smaller or he'll try to swallow it whole...Baby Kai does it too. Definietly smaller pellets. Maybe live food? I'd up the waterchanges too. Have you tested the water?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #4 
Petunia87

She has lived in her 5 gallon since January 1st without any problems and I have changed nothing which is why I am so worried. She has eaten the same pellets since I got her last June and never had a problem or not wanted to eat them. She likes bloodworms but does not go crazy for them like some bettas. She gets one-two every 2 weeks at night after her tank cleaning as a treat. Could it be that she randomly decided the pellets are to big for her after eating them for almost a year or that she is bored with them? If it is that then it is a very simple fix I am just worried something is wrong with her.
Petunia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

It probably is it but I would try again tomorrow and read the ingrediants on the back. Something may be missing. Before I gave Aki NLS Small Fish formula he ate fine for nearly three weeks then began spitting them out. It was an easy fix and then I found out...

He's a tailbiter.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote