Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 05:50 PM   #1 
luluo

Ugh. Betta in a bowl.

So on CL someone is selling a 1yr old (so probably 2yr old) betta in a fish bowl. I don't have a cycled tank to put it in right now. If I put it in a 2.5 gallon rectangular with a heater, how often would I have to do water changes. I've never had a tank that wasn't cycled.
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

You'd only need to do one 50% and one 100% change per week. Easy!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by luluo View Post
So on CL someone is selling a 1yr old (so probably 2yr old) betta in a fish bowl. I don't have a cycled tank to put it in right now. If I put it in a 2.5 gallon rectangular with a heater, how often would I have to do water changes. I've never had a tank that wasn't cycled.
On my 2.5 gallons I'm a little obsessive... Generally I do 50%, skip, 100%, skip, 50%, skip, etc. So I do about 3-4 water changes a week. But it keeps their water super clear, makes their filter media last longer, and they're always really happy!

To do a water change of just removing water (even up to 80%) it literally takes me 10 minutes to do both. I just vacuum out the water into a 5 gallon bucket, dump it & refill it, treat all of that water, then pour the water into the tanks. Simple enough, right??

Good luck!!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #4 
luluo

Thanks! I already do a wc on D'Argo's tank on Sunday and my community on Wednesday so adding another one in there isn't a big deal. This guy has been on CL for a week and was just reposted. I'll see if I can get him.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #5 
Luimeril

are you gonna get him? in my 2 gallons, i usually do one 50%, then one 100%. or, you could do 3 100% a week. :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #6 
laughing

Guys! On my local CL there's a "free betta" with its set up. She says its red white and blue but the "tank" it comes with are the 4 x 4 x 8 ones you divide...

RGeronmerogmqe. My mom thinks we're "maxed" out!! But I don't want him in there any longer D: What do I say? I can't keep him, so what would I do with him?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #7 
Luimeril

get him, and adopt him out? :d
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #8 
wallywestisthebest333

Not to be overly critical or anything but there are 2 and 2.5 gallon bowls and drums (that people often call bowls) out there. They're often sold at pet stores too.

Do you know how big the "bowl" is? You might be able to take the fish and the enclosure.

Oh you can't take the fish. :[ Well... I don't really know how CL works.... could you comment on the post saying that the new owner would be welcomed into our community and given advice on how to care for their new pet? Maybe people would be more willing to adopt if they knew they could depend on this community for advice?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #9 
luluo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Not to be overly critical or anything but there are 2 and 2.5 gallon bowls and drums (that people often call bowls) out there. They're often sold at pet stores too.

Do you know how big the "bowl" is? You might be able to take the fish and the enclosure.

Oh you can't take the fish. :[ Well... I don't really know how CL works.... could you comment on the post saying that the new owner would be welcomed into our community and given advice on how to care for their new pet? Maybe people would be more willing to adopt if they knew they could depend on this community for advice?
Were you replying to me (OP) or to laughing? I can totally take the fish, why else would I post asking how often to do water changes on a tank that isn't cycled? I don't know how big the bowl is, the ad did not say. Seller has not gotten back to me after the initial e-mail so not sure if I will be getting him or not.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

To both of you about the bowl thing.

To laughing about the not being able to get the fish.

Sorry they haven't contacted you back yet. :[ Hope they get back to you soon and that you get the betta. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote