Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 
orphansparrow

help w/questions about larger tank

hello~

i have been thinking of getting a 5 gallon for yangtze, with filter, and trying to learn about cycling it, etc. yangtze seems happy in his 2 gallon, but it would be nice to do fewer water changes, and i would love to see him with more space to swim..

but i have a few concerns:

1) i have to have a filter that is silent. i am the world's lightest sleeper, and my betta is kept in my bedroom. i once had a filter called "whisper filter" or something, that said it was silent, but it kept me up all night. (this was in a tank i was going to cycle, but i never added fish to it, because i realized i couldn't live with the filter sound.)

is there such a filter?

2) tank maintenance... if i get a 5 gallon tank all cycled, add my fish and everything... what happens if i go on vacation for a few days? do i have to worry about anything happening while i'm away? any concerns? (i've never kept a fish in a cycled tank before)

thanks so much for any help. ^_^
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #2 
TonyK

I'm definitely not an expert but filters will make some noise. There is a little hum on the motor, water pouring out of the filter will make a little noise. I am a very light sleeper too and have my tank in my bedroom. I don't really have any issues with it. I use hang on the back filters maybe internal filters might be something you can look at. I'm sure someone here can make a suggestion.

The nice thing about a cycled tank is you won't have to do as many water changes so you would be able to leave for a couple of days and not have to worry about it.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #3 
copperarabian

XD I have a pretty loud aquarium from my power filter and big aeration stone XD I'm use to it though lol I don't even notice my whisper filter that's in my 2.5 on my desk (although it is in the same room as my 48 so that probably covers any noise it might make)

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Inter.../dp/B00176GKM8

Have you looked at this filter? I've never used it, but the reviews say it's quite and the 6 reviewers seem to really like it.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote