Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #1 
Siamese Fighting Fish

Lightbulb Putting your hand in tank... bad or good?

Sometimes I get stressed when a item falls over, and I wanna just shove my hand in and fix it.

Obviously I can't wash my hands before this action because I will get soap in his water, but is doing this safe as long has a soak and rinse my hands with cold tap water?
Siamese Fighting Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #2 
newarkhiphop

ive thought about this too, i mean as long as your hand isnt super dirty with chemicals and things like that , i dont see the harm to be honest
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 
JKfish

I typically rinse my hands very well in hot water and pat dry before sticking them in the tank. If I'd been handling chemicals even in the past hour or so before, there'd be no way in Hell I'd be sticking my hands in my boys' water.

It ought to be perfectly fine so long as you don't have any lotion or gross stuff on your hands.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #4 
Maryrox247

i woudn't worry about it, just make sure your hands are free of chemicals. Believe me it does no harm, i used to put my hands in my 17 and 20 gallons all the time sometimes they were a little dirty to be honest but my fish were always fine. Just relax, if you feel the need to rinse your hands then by all means do so but your fish will be fine either way. :)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #5 
bettafish15

I wash my hands with soap, rinse under water as hot as I can stand for awhile, rinse under cold for the heck of it, then stick my hands in the tank. ^^

Edit: The only reason I use soap is because I have to have lotion on my hands all the time, and water just doesnt get it off. Use soap only if you're prepared to rinse well, or if you were handling bad stuff.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Edit: The only reason I use soap is because I have to have lotion on my hands all the time, and water just doesnt get it off. Use soap only if you're prepared to rinse well, or if you were handling bad stuff.
I do this as well. I rinse the soap off with hot water sometimes until their a little red if I'm going to be sticking my hands in the tank.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #7 
Burd

I pick up my fish with my hands rather than using nets when I clean their tanks or need to move them. As long as your hands aren't dirty or covered in chemicals/soap it doesn't bother them any more than a net does.
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 
Siamese Fighting Fish

Ahhh okay thanks so much everyone for helping me understand :). And Burd, I would do that but I am scared of traumatizing the poor guy :(.
Siamese Fighting Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #9 
BrookeGrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
I pick up my fish with my hands rather than using nets when I clean their tanks or need to move them. As long as your hands aren't dirty or covered in chemicals/soap it doesn't bother them any more than a net does.
I wish I had the nerves to do that! I'm really paranoid that he will jump out of my hand, hahah.

But I really don't like nets. I've had other fish nearly get caught in them and they seem risky in other ways. Just gotta be careful, I guess.
BrookeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

It is important to wash your hands before and after working on the tank....you only think your hands are clean......the oils can make your tank look dirty too....I always use soap and running water and wash up to my elbows...but I have big deep tanks and sometimes I have my arm up to my armpit in the tank...lol.....and wash good after too.....it is rare that we catch anything from the tank...but especially with open wounds on your hands.....wash...wash.....

Make sure your hands are wet before touching your fish...dry hand can stick to the slime coat and damage it....now you have an open wound the first line protection for the fish that pathogens can invade.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote