Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #11 
Maryrox247

that does make good point OFL.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #12 
Siamese Fighting Fish

OHH Okay! I noticed OFL said it can make your water LOOK dirty.. This solves many problems. See, after hearing everyone's response on how safe it is, I have been doing it lots. I woke up this morning and the water was unusually cloudy!

Now I see why :).
Siamese Fighting Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #13 
gmd1800

What about if I use antibacterial hand sanitizer? I don't normally stick my hands in the tanks to fix decor - I typically wait until water changes to do that. However, if my OCD gets to the best of me or I need to put my hand in for some reason, I'm usually paranoid that the alcohol from the sanitizer will leach into the water and hurt my fish somehow, so I scrub like mad beforehand.

Would hand sanitizer hurt them if I have to put my hand in for an emergency?
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #14 
roadrunner

Well I used to be worried about sticking my hands in the tank too, but I finally got nice long tweezers for my 20G, so I don't have to stick my hands in and now I can fix my plants and decoration really fast anytime :o)
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post
What about if I use antibacterial hand sanitizer? I don't normally stick my hands in the tanks to fix decor - I typically wait until water changes to do that. However, if my OCD gets to the best of me or I need to put my hand in for some reason, I'm usually paranoid that the alcohol from the sanitizer will leach into the water and hurt my fish somehow, so I scrub like mad beforehand.

Would hand sanitizer hurt them if I have to put my hand in for an emergency?
I would wash my hands before working on the tank....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #16 
gmd1800

Thanks, OFL! That's what I thought.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #17 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeGrace View Post
I wish I had the nerves to do that! I'm really paranoid that he will jump out of my hand, hahah.

But I really don't like nets. I've had other fish nearly get caught in them and they seem risky in other ways. Just gotta be careful, I guess.
I should probably mention that some of my fish are -impossible- to catch with bare hands so I have to use my net and yeah, they like to try to jump out. I tend to keep both hands around them until they get back in the water, especially with my slippery little girls. :P
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #18 
CTMongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
I pick up my fish with my hands rather than using nets when I clean their tanks or need to move them. As long as your hands aren't dirty or covered in chemicals/soap it doesn't bother them any more than a net does.
Thats what i was doing before one flapd out of my hand and onto the bench then on the floor and then thats wen i invested in a net
CTMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #19 
nowzem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It is important to wash your hands before and after working on the tank....you only think your hands are clean......the oils can make your tank look dirty too....I always use soap and running water and wash up to my elbows...but I have big deep tanks and sometimes I have my arm up to my armpit in the tank...lol.....and wash good after too.....it is rare that we catch anything from the tank...but especially with open wounds on your hands.....wash...wash.....

Make sure your hands are wet before touching your fish...dry hand can stick to the slime coat and damage it....now you have an open wound the first line protection for the fish that pathogens can invade.....
+1. Never put your hands in your tank without washing with soap (and rinsing really well or you absolutely WILL introduce bacteria/fungus/etc into the tank...you will anyway, but this cuts down on the amount) Also always wash your hands AFTER handling anything to do with your fish and you should avoid placing your hand in the tank if you have open wounds, but like OFL said, its ok if you wash wash wash :)

I also recommend NOT handling your fish at all. I use a cup to transfer my fish. When I use hands, they almost always jump out of my hands. The nets tear fins...and the cup causes no harm other than the unavoidable stress from being moved.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #20 
nowzem

And the hand sanitizer is almost definitely toxic to your fish. Put some on your hands and then lick your finger (gross, right?! That's what your fish is doing teehee) It SMELLs like a chemical, and it IS a chemical...don't do it :)
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote