Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #1 
Larsa

Possible breeding plans... need advice on HMs.

Kk so at petco there is a navy-blue butterfly HM male I reeeeaaaaalllly feel like I need. I learned that the breeder is a decent breeder, no 'mutts' *sorry for the mean word... I still love all bettas!* and the male is 4 months old and has sisters..... :T breeders know what im thinkin'? I was told by an expert to get a pair from the same strain. Buuuut I was told that HMs arnt good breeders cuz of those darn big fins gettin in the way! And this male's tail is pretty big. Should I get him and a suitable mate(s) or just snatch the male before someone else does? o.O I am starting a sorority too btw in a few weeks.

* I know how to breed sooo i know how its a love/hate experience ; )
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Buy the male first and if you start your sorority after condition all the girls at the same time with him then pick out the girl you want to breed and then let her heal up and slowly re-introduce her back.

Note: I've read this sort of thing working. I have never bred.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #3 
Larsa

hmmmm I may have to pick n' choose... im getting a five gal from a friend ( originally for the mini sorority ) and I can either get 2-3 females for $.99 each or get just the gorgeous male for $7.00. Getting a male with a bigger tank would make Ryu horribly jealous plus he could use some ladies! BĪ) If I can get at least another one gal with filter, thermometer etc, etc I can get the pair!

*****has anyone ever successfully bred 2 halfmoons and got any halfmoon offspring?

Last edited by Larsa; 05-09-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 AM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

I'd get a ten gal for the sorority and keep the 5 gal for the male. That way no one gets jealous. (Trust me Aki's acting like a total fool jealous of not only the bigger tank little Kai has but the fact I'm doting on him more at the moment. The little guy better stop tailbiting since I don't want whatever insanity he has rubbing off onto baby Kai. Kai's rays are perfection and Aki's...Are chewed.)
Old 05-09-2011, 05:27 AM   #5 
Larsa

Aww you got a tail-biter! o.0 I have never had one of those! Make sure his fins arnt getting infected! Id make a betta first aid kit just in case! :P HMs like to bite their tails too... D: why do they ruin their gorgeous selves?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

I think Akira likes to tick me off. He's doing it even more now going to the point of making sure his beard is knotted. He's still cute but his rays are ruined and if he doesn't leave himself alone he'll keep hurting himself. I'm going to get him a bigger tank in a week and see if that'll help with a new plant and some IAL extract to help him heal more. They started to grow back but he wrecked it...He looks like a CTPK now....A little chubby too...I need to fast him. *sulk*
Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #7 
Larsa

Hes prolly chubby cuz hes eating his food and his tail as a snack!!! : ( I am scared to get that HM now... hed be a tail biter for sure...
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

fwiw, 10 gallons is way too small for a soriority. a soriority needs higher numbers and lots and lots of space. i plan to buy a 30 gal soon for myh own .
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
Hes prolly chubby cuz hes eating his food and his tail as a snack!!! : ( I am scared to get that HM now... hed be a tail biter for sure...
Not all CT's and HM's are tailbiters. There were a LOT bigger CT's at Petsmart and they had double rays that were bigger then Aki's when he had them. I'd get him if you want him and felt a connection. If he tailbites AQ salt, TLC and IAL will heal it up.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #10 
Larsa

10 gal not enough for 3 female fish that are an 3/4 of an inch long!? Uh... yah thats a lil ridiculous. Thats plenty of room plus they will still babies! :3 ( 2 months ) Plus my landlord says no to tanks bigger than 10 gallons or we pay an extra $200 for a pet deposit and an extra $30 month :'(

Last edited by Larsa; 05-10-2011 at 03:43 AM.