Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #1 
KittenFarts8

Red face Not liking his tank mates?

Hellooo fishy friends! I've posted once before about getting an algae eater and I decided to wait on tank mates but I guess I wasn't on the same page as my hubby because he chose NOT to wait...

My betta and I were pretty happy about him being the only fish. He loves his 10 gal tank and would swim to the front everytime I walked by and would show me his beautiful blue and red fins (gorgeous!) He even loved the audience of kitties he had. Well on Saturday for mother's day my hubby surprised me with 3 balloon mollies- 2 females and 1 male (which I didn't know until I looked it up on the internet) I appreciate my hubby's enthusiasm for my new hobby of fish...but now my Clarence is sad in the corner of the tank, the mollies leave him alone for the most part but when they come by he flares up and chases them away and returns to his corner...

Soooo what should I do?...my mother in law says she would take the mollies (she loves fish) but am I just being impatient? I really don't want to stress out anybody here, but I feel like my first obligation is my betta since he was here first. My hubby wants to try a tank divider but is that fair? I feel bad for the mollies but I know they'll go to a good home if I decide not to keep them...So sorry this is long winded
KittenFarts8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #2 
roypattonphoto

Give him a couple a days.. this coule be a reason to get a 2nd tank hehe
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #3 
KittenFarts8

I did suggest my hubby get his OWN tank and leave MINE alone but that didn't go over to well
Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #4 
Blaze54

Hey there!! Welcome to Bettafish.com! The problem is,he is used to being the only fish in that tank. How long has he been in there?? If he has been in there for a while he probably already claimed his territory. This makes it very hard to introduce tank-mates. Flaring at the "intruders" is common behavior. That corner is most likely his "personal space" and he doesn't want anyone in it! As long as the mollies have enough room to escape the betta then I would say your fine. But watch veeerrrryyyy closely!!! The thing about Balloon Mollies is they have longer fins than other mollies so make sure your betta doesn't mistake a mollie for another betta! Because as you have probably learned,bettas will fight to the death! So just keep an eye out. Pretty soon the mollies will learn to stay away from his "personal area". Good Luck
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #5 
Blaze54

And sorry about that being "long winded"
Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #6 
bettafish15

Yeah, as said, he feels they intruded on his territory and he's all out of sorts. If he doesnt perk up after awhile, I would remove the mollies.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

I'd either separate your betta and put him in a 5 gallon.

You could also take the two females back and replace them with males.

Or get rid of just the male.

I reccomend replacing the females with Males though. Mollies breed a lot. Females have tons of babies and when you buy them from the pet store if they were kept with the males they are likely already pregnant.

Or you could take all the mollies back.

Taking everyone out, rearranging the tank completely and adding the mollies back first then adding the betta the next day may also help as he'll think he's in new territory and may get used to the mollies more easily that way.

Either way good luck. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #8 
KittenFarts8

Thank you for the advice everybody! I think I'll try what wallywestisthebest333 suggested and if that doesn't work then Mollies will head over to the inlaws I feel bad taking them back to the pet store..its not their fault they aren't liked
Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #9 
Blaze54

Good call :)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #10 
shinybetta

You should seperate them. Even if your betta was fine with them, mollies like brackish water conditions, which bettas can't handle.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote