Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #1 
chelsmarie23

Please Help! Swim bladder problem!

I'm like 90% sure my boy Weezy is having swim bladder problems. He is having trouble swimming down and it seems that when he goes down he floats back up VERY easily and it looks like he's struggling. How do I fix it? Please help. I will be so grateful.
chelsmarie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #2 
chelsmarie23

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? bloodworms, pellets, flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? all of it
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? "clear water" water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he appears a little bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is having trouble swimming down
When did you start noticing the symptoms? he has been acting funny for about a week, but i just figured out that a problem DOES exist.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? not yet. i've been pondering adding aquarium salt though.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope. he was perfectly healthy when i bought him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? he is so young. i've only had him for about 2 months and i believe is could only be 5-8 months old.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

How much are you feeding; i.e., how many pellets, blood worms, etc. per feeding?

I would do an epsom salt treatment. Add 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon for two days, then increase to 2 tsp per gallon for eight days, making daily 100% water changes. I also suggest fasting him for the first three days of treatment.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #4 
chelsmarie23

Alright thank you so much! Is regular epsom salt okay? Like the kind for humans?

I'll get some tomorrow as soon as I go out. I just changed his water and I sorta gave him bloodworms earlier.. =/ i hear they are the best for them, but i didn't even think about it.

Thank you!!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #5 
LolaQuigs

Yes, regular epsom salt from the drug store, just make sure there aren't any added fragrances or anything.

Do you feed freeze dried or frozen bloodworms? And how many/frequently do you feed them? When you feed pellets, how many do you feed? SBD usually results from bloating, so I'm trying to figure out what sort of feeding changes you'll want to make to keep this from happening again.

IF they're freeze dried bloodworms, I would feed no more than one per week, just as a special treat. The primary diet should be pellets, one or two fed twice per day to allow him ample time to digest. I'd skip out on the flakes, they're not as nutritious and they contaminate the water faster.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #6 
chelsmarie23

Ah okay. Yeah I would give him 4-6 a week. The base of his diet is pellets and I give him flakes/worms whenever he starts to get picky. (He spits out his food :P) But when I feed him pellets I give him 4 a day except the days I give him pellets.