Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 
melbot

problem with egg nest

First off, I am sad to mention that my first breeding didn't work out. I don't think the eggs got fertilized, because they never hatched. Daddy ate them after four days.

The good news, however, is that I introduced a new pair and they almost immediately spawned! I have about 75 eggs, and they are just beginning to hatch. The problems is that the daddy has been attending to the eggs so much that he let the bubble nest pop. Right now, they are all just kind of stuck together in the back corner. Daddy is being wonderful (except for the nest thing), and he never lets an egg hit the ground.

Do these fry have any chance without a nest? Do you think daddy will rebuild one?

BTW, if the fry make it, is anyone interested? Beautiful crowntail female, and the below crown male (with his eggs).
Attached Images

melbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

Yes! Kadin did the exact same thing with the fry I'm raising right now. He managed to keep about half of them up at all times, and eventually started blowing a few new bubbles and they made it.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #3 
mernincrazy8525

i would be interested in a pair of these guys. What colors are the male and females?
just make sure you label a pair with my name on them.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #4 
melbot

I will post better pics today. Mom is a surprisingly large royal blue. After conditioning, she was almost larger than the male, who is a very decent size. Though I am new at this breeding thing, I am fantasizing that I may get some shades of violet, though I know that is not likely.

To be honest, I did buy these fish from a LPS, though it is privately owned and the guys uses only two breeders. Mom and dad are not siblings. Mom actually looks more like a combtail, but it is so hard to tell with females. She was labeled as a crowntail. I am not going to try to sell them for profit, as this is my first breeding. I just want shipping and handling covered.

Oh, and udpate...dad did blow a bit more of a nest, and the babies are now doing that cute upside down thing with their tails out! I wish I could take better pictures...I am going to have my hubby take some with his fancy camera once he wakes up.

Who knew that breeding bettas could be so exciting?!?
melbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #5 
mernincrazy8525

I get most of my fish from my lps, but they have awesome bettas!!!! You sound just like me when I am talking about my betta breeding. so in what state do you live in. I live in new jersey. just want to know how much shipping will cost.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote