Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #1 
cajunamy
Banned

1 or 2 dead a day ... normal?

pretty much what the title says - I'm pulling out 1 or 2 dead fry a day. It's making me nervous....
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I can't say its normal but its not abnormal either....its not unusual for fry to drop dead here and there...it can be from varied reasons...starvation, parasites, genetics to name a few reasons......

How old are they, what are you feeding and how often, tank size, water change schedule, filtration, live plants, additives used, water temp, any sign/symptoms before they die, how many are left....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 
cajunamy
Banned

set up is a half filled 10 gallon. i use prime every night. i have a sponge filter bubbling once per second, it was not seasoned when I put it in. at spawning, i added 3 drops of maroxy. There is java moss and duckweed in the tank.

I have since done 1 water change, about 10%. Yesterday I took my magnifying glass and medicine dropper and took out about half of the waste off the bottom.

I feed twice a day, microworms. I can't seem to find a method that works for me for harvesting my VE culture, so they don't get that often. I just got my BBS eggs yesterday, need to get that started. I just also got in powdered foods and decaps from fish guy on aquabid, so I started feeding his fry starter yesterday along with the microworms.

Yesterday though, I realized that I had left the cling wrap open on the tank twice. Yes, I feel like a total and utter fool. I have about 30 or so left right now.

Oh, they will be 2 weeks tomorrow.

Last edited by cajunamy; 05-10-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Once you start adding food-its important to start water changes of at least 50%, however, with a half full 10g at 2 weeks...I would start adding a gallon of fresh like temp dechlorinated water a couple of times a day until full...then start the 50% daily water changes...and at 2 weeks it is important to maintain that warm humid air above the water especially since they are starting to develop the labyrinth organ....

Java moss and duckweed are both really good plants for the fry tank.....is it a bare bottom tank.....and whats the water temp.....
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

yup, bare bottom. 82.

I haven't done water changes yet b/c one guide and known breeder said not to touch the water till 2 weeks. It also said to keep the tank half full. Everyone has a different method it seems! It's to find the one right for me ...

Yeah, I know it's my fault so many died, but I have some hope, I counted 30 today and I know there are more. If I'm luky there are still 40-50

BS hatchery has been started, so just waiting another 24 hours or so for that.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #6 
nowzem

Personally I would guess it's from not doing water changes for 2 weeks.
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I don't think it is your fault per se....stuff happens....especially during the first couple of weeks...the weak ones die off....

True, lots of different ways to rear fry....but I have found that poor water quality is a big killer of fry regardless of age...when you have lots of fry even as small as they are the waste, decomp of dead fry and decay of uneaten food can pollute the tank pretty fast and the stronger/healthier fry immune response can be compromised and if they don't die-parasites can take hold and wipe them all out......I would start adding water and making water changes.......and if you have more live plants- add them and some common snail to help with clean up of both uneaten food and dead fry....
Old 05-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #8 
cajunamy
Banned

no snails - my bettas eat them all! will go add water and do a water change now.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #9 
Dragonlady

It is not unusual to have only a 5% loss by natural causes out of an entire spawn. Be sure to match the temperature of the water you are adding. If in doubt, betta fry seem to adjust easier to slightly warmer water than water that is slightly colder. At least next time your sponge filter should be mature.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #10 
cajunamy
Banned

I do have a lava rock in there, that came from a mature tank.

I expected some loss, it's the fact that I was negligent with the cling wrap that gets to me.

I added in a gallon of water and just fed them their dinner, VE & decaps. In about an hour or so I will do a water change.