Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #1 
Siamese Fighting Fish

This is a stupid question, but..

Betta's get over stress ,provided good living conditions and diet, right?
I hope so. My guy is stressed right now, you can tell.
I know this because he is, unfortunately, cramped in a little 1/2 gallon. I am also literally NOT ALLOWED to do water changes every day because I am just 13 and when my parents see me water change, they get mad at me and tell me to do it just once weekly.

There is another issue as well. He is just on one particular side of his tank! The right side, to be specific. He doesn't act lethargic on that side, in fact he is quite healthy and active on the right side!

Could the problem be I put a mirror there a while ago to see him flare his gills for the first time and now he is awaiting for what he though, was another fish, to come back? I know this is kind of abusive, but my relatives recommended it because they wanted to show me the way the species gills are like.
Siamese Fighting Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #2 
Siamese Fighting Fish

Someone please answer me?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #3 
denaliwind

He definitely needs a bigger home, at the very least 1 gallon, but the bigger the better for water quality, temperature stability and room to swim! Does he have a heater? Anything below 75*F can also stress him out and the lower the temp the harder it is for his immune system to function correctly. Also, tell your relatives that he needs at the very least 100% water change every 5 days with a 50% change in between! A water change once a week is too little for a 1/2g tank, it's even too little for a 3 gallon tank with a filter. Also, having him flare at a mirror for a couple minutes won't hurt him. There's a difference of opinions regarding how often and for long you should do this, but the general idea is that a couple of minutes a day isn't going to do any long term harm and some even suggest it's healthy for them. :)

Anyway, good luck with your little fish and remember, he's a living, breathing animal and needs adequate care. Just because you're 13 doesn't mean you can't give him the care he deserves. :) Good luck with your little guy! :D
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #4 
Siamese Fighting Fish

Thanks Denaliwind! I will take your advice, I AM getting a much bigger home, his temperature is always monitered and is always around 77F, and I will tell everyone how key water changes are. Oh, and BTW, If that is your fish in your profile picture, my fish is literally identical. VT, black/blue body with blue tail and everything :).
Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #5 
Canuck Fins

Your fish may just like one side of his tank better. My betta has a favourite spot to hang out under the edge of his wisteria plant. It could also be it's warmer on one side. Without a heater, the tank will be a few degrees less than room temperature. (I'm in Saskatchewan too and we sure don't seem to be getting much in the way of warm spring weather!)

Keeping up with water changes is the best thing you can do for your fish. It's the biggest factor in keeping him healthy!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote