Unhappy Awwwwww :-(

This is sad

http://youtu.be/X1n0T2gP3_Y

Poor thing must be confused.
Share any unusual behavior in a reply.
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #2 
Luimeril

probably stress. :/ that's what most bettas bite their tails for. i'm lucky that i only have a nipper now(Ichi. grrr! Dx).
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

My one betta Flippy Picasso does that! I had no idea what he was doing at first...I thought he just had finrot...It turns out hes just a crazy little guy.
I have been trying to find some ways to get him to stop and I see a bit of regrowth going on.......but I caught him circling earlier...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh gosh. :[ It really sucks when they do that. Sometimes it helps when you put them near another fish. If they were doing it out of boredom/inactivity.

Other times that makes it worse if they're stressed. :[
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

It really is frustrating...I just moved my flippy picasso out of QT...he was on a low dose of maracyn and aquarium salt..I see a little regrowth... He was in a divided 10 gallon and he attacked his own fins...he is in his own 3 gallon now..I still see him do it occasionally...His fins were messed up when i got him in his cup so i thought it was just finrot..I think water changes really stress him out..I plan on getting a small filter for his 3 gallon critter keeper so I don't have to keep removing him for water changes.Hopefully taht will help him!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I think this goes beyond boredom or stress, I think its neurotic behavior, probably from imbreeding by his breeder over generations. I say this because he;s flaring over and over at his tail, like its another creature.

I think he's mental, not ust stressed out :( (I had a fish like this)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
I think this goes beyond boredom or stress, I think its neurotic behavior, probably from imbreeding by his breeder over generations. I say this because he;s flaring over and over at his tail, like its another creature.

I think he's mental, not ust stressed out :( (I had a fish like this)
I think this is my fish...He never rests like my other fish he just swims fast back and forth...back and forth..and then he sees his back fin..and the bottom one...and then its NOM NOM and then back and forth again...
Old 05-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #8 
PewPewPew

Yeah, that sounds about right. I had a fish like that, Maccaroni, who was so neurotic and obsessed that he rubbed his face raw on his (rather soft) divider, trying to get at the other fish.

He needed to be removed and put into his own tank because of this...Its sad.

Even when he was in his own tank, he would literally spend HOURS going back and forth and doing the same things over and over. I felt terrible for him. He's a little better now, but I know this affliction will never leave him.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #9 
Silverfang

stress, boredom, has too much finnage? or like pew said, it's something akin to a psychological disorder. Considering humans have disorders where they damage themselves, it's not really that surprising fish do too. I've wished more than once I had a fishy therapist for my Scuzi. Who has not chewed his tail in about 3 weeks *knock wood*.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote