Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #1 
Tirepole

Thinking of getting rid of my fish?

Hello, I have a Purple, Red And Blue Veil Tail Betta named Spike. Well, see, I've had him since last year, but I'm thinking of getting rid of him. He really stresses me out sometimes. He keeps getting bloated because of a recently added snail in there (I feed him first, then feed the snail an algae wafer. he then eats most of it and gets bloated every time. I know it's instinct but it's very annoying.) He also can just be very mean sometimes. He's given me trouble before, and I've sometimes wondered if a betta is actually what I like and want.

I was almost thinking of starting a community of snails. They aren't aggressive at all to each other, and are very laid back, they also would enjoy the live pants already in my tank which is a plus. Here's the problem. Of course I love Spike, but I think I just want to get away from fish for awhile. But, here I am ready to return him to Petsmart, where I got him from. However, he's enjoyed a nice 5 gallon tank, filter, heater and a variety of foods. But if I return him to Petsmart, he's going to go right back on the shelves. I don't want him to get adopted by a half-retarded person who thinks they do fine in a bowl and a little food per week. (Which is the majority of fish shoppers there.) I see a mom who wanted to buy her son a fish, they come back with him dead. Guess what he comes back in? A bowl about as big as a coconut.

I was thinking of maybe just killing him off painlessly, but I just don't think I can do it. I love him a lot, and he shouldn't have to die because of me. But it might save him from a fate worse then that. Can anyone tell me what I should do? Personal stores like this? You may leave your opinion, but keep it polite. Don't be judgmental. Thanks.
Tirepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #2 
Tirepole

OP here. Not that I meant I wanted to take him back for refund, I know it's not possible. Just to see if they wanted him back just for another fish to sell again.
Tirepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirepole View Post
Hello, I have a Purple, Red And Blue Veil Tail Betta named Spike. Well, see, I've had him since last year, but I'm thinking of getting rid of him. He really stresses me out sometimes. He keeps getting bloated because of a recently added snail in there (I feed him first, then feed the snail an algae wafer. he then eats most of it and gets bloated every time. I know it's instinct but it's very annoying.) He also can just be very mean sometimes. He's given me trouble before, and I've sometimes wondered if a betta is actually what I like and want.

I was almost thinking of starting a community of snails. They aren't aggressive at all to each other, and are very laid back, they also would enjoy the live pants already in my tank which is a plus. Here's the problem. Of course I love Spike, but I think I just want to get away from fish for awhile. But, here I am ready to return him to Petsmart, where I got him from. However, he's enjoyed a nice 5 gallon tank, filter, heater and a variety of foods. But if I return him to Petsmart, he's going to go right back on the shelves. I don't want him to get adopted by a half-retarded person who thinks they do fine in a bowl and a little food per week. (Which is the majority of fish shoppers there.) I see a mom who wanted to buy her son a fish, they come back with him dead. Guess what he comes back in? A bowl about as big as a coconut.

I was thinking of maybe just killing him off painlessly, but I just don't think I can do it. I love him a lot, and he shouldn't have to die because of me. But it might save him from a fate worse then that. Can anyone tell me what I should do? Personal stores like this? You may leave your opinion, but keep it polite. Don't be judgmental. Thanks.
I personally believe that ending its life, because you do not want it anymore, would be a selfish thing to do. I hope that you do not.
I know that putting him in a store may end his life in a bad way, as well, and agree with you in that regard.

I think that, even though you no longer wish to keep him, that it would be too unfair to give him away to a bad situation or to end his life. I say keep him. Keep him, bear with him, love him as much as you can, and let him live out his days. (Not to be mean, rather, to be frank)- you purchased him, now live with it, its a life just the same as a dog or cat, which you wouldnt kill just because you no longer wanted it. (Though, yes, theyd be easier to rehome).

Have you considered finding someone you know personally to take him? Even if they havent owned one, if you think theyd listen to you and would trust them, they can learn and give the fish a good life. You could check up and be the one they look to for answers, assuring follow-up care.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirepole View Post
OP here. Not that I meant I wanted to take him back for refund, I know it's not possible. Just to see if they wanted him back just for another fish to sell again.
They wouldnt take it back, not usually.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #5 
BlueHaven

I had kept my snail with one of my bettas before, she got insanely bloated by stealing his food.
Not good at all, but once she got better I moved the snail to his own home, and then switched them back into one divided tank.
They are doing fine now.
It was frustrating because I couldn't get her to stop trying to get his food, and then she'd get mad at me for putting her in a temporary cup while I fed him.
She flared at me, lol
But anyway, i'm sorry your having such a hard time!!!
Bettas do get tempers sometimes,
it's great that you are trying to find a good home for him instead of just tossing him out or something.
Maybe someone here will be willing to take him off your hands, there have been people who posted here that they will rescue people's bettas for them.

Do you have apple (mystery) snails?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

EDIT:

Do not kill him. Keep him, return the SNAIL not him and try him on his own. Fast him for a few days then try giving him smaller pellets. His attitude may change because he is a fighting fish. They will attack their tankmates.

I'm not happy to hear you were thinking of killing him. You made me compare you to the PETA's ways.

Don't make the mistake of spilling his blood on your hands.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #7 
RayneForhest

I could take him off your hands.
RayneForhest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #8 
newarkhiphop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayneForhest View Post
I could take him off your hands.
This.

am sure if you set it up right, someone from here will take him off your hands
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 
ilovebunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkhiphop View Post
This.

am sure if you set it up right, someone from here will take him off your hands

I agree. There are a few members that would probably take him off your hands. Please, don't kill him.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #10 
dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebunnies View Post
I agree. There are a few members that would probably take him off your hands. Please, don't kill him.
Yes I would definitly take him. I am acutually looking for my second betta. you can pm me. I'd love to!
dew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta kill stress snail