Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #1 
fflores

Fluval Tanks? Anyone using them?

Is anyone using Fluval tanks?

I went to a fish store that i had always wanted to go to but just hadn't gone to today. Its called Ocean Aquarium Design. They had a very nice set up, they had all the tanks that they sold, set up with water and fish so that you get a real feel on what you are getting.

They are the only place that i've been to that had the Fluval Tanks set up and really showed off how sleek they are.

They had the Spec

They had the Chi both in 5gal and 6.6gal

They had the Edge

I am debating between getting 6.6gal Chi or the Edge for the living room, and possibly getting the spec to replace my current 1 gallon desktop tank at work
fflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #2 
Malvolti

I personally love the design of Fluval tanks but I find them so expensive compared to a standard rectangular long or bowfront kit. Being a student I don't really have the extra cash to spend on pretty designer tanks.

I've seen them set up and stores and heard a few stories from others who loved them, I've never heard a bad word about Fluval.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #3 
fflores

I thinking of building my own tank as well, making a "open-bottom" tank. I can design it to size at work and have one of my our supply vendors cut the acrylic to size, or possibly find the a lower tank and upper section online somewhere or a store

something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miAfN...eature=related
Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 AM   #4 
Alex09

Hmm. The only thing I would worry about is that you have to keep the water level so high on those things so there is a possibility of your fish jumping out. Otherwise I would go for it. I personally would choose the 5 gal. Looks the same as a 6 gal just shorter. Bettas (esp males) prefer not having to swim so high for air.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #5 
Creat

The edge I would use for betta's because you fill the water all the way up to the top so they cant get surface air except in that small square in the back. Although they are one of my favorite tanks on the market.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #6 
SmokeNLark

I just bought the edge for my dad for Christmas. It is absolutely stunning. It will be the hardest to clean out of the Fluval tanks, but personally, I think it's worth it. Unfortunately, I wouldn't put a betta in it either, for the same reason as Creat. There's hardly any surface area for a betta to breathe. I'd go with the Chi if you wanted a Fluval.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #7 
ilovebunnies

Fluval tanks are nice, but they can be difficult. Here is my rundown of their tanks:

__________________________________________________ ________________
The Fluval Edge is an awesome designer tank, my favorite of the fluval series. I love tanks where you don't see cords hanging all over the place. However, due to it only being 6 gallons, you are limited on what you can stock in the tank. I personally wouldn't keep a betta in the tank because the water level is suppose to be kept to the top of the glass. This only leaves a small hole for breathing. You could keep the water level down but I feel it takes away from the design. Also, keeping the water at this level might cause more water turbulence and make it hard for the fish to swim. Another issue with the edge is the lighting. The stock halogen bulbs that come with the tank can cause temperature fluctuations. Some brilliant people have upgraded the lighting to LEDs which don't get hot and even added additional lighting by rewiring different lighting. Another problem with the lighting is it is inadequate to light the tank. You could cluster the plants right under the lighting, but plants outside of the spotlight in the tank won't do well. Also, because of the small opening, this tank is really hard to clean. Not impossible but you have to be really dedicated to keeping this tank clean. They make accessories to make cleaning easier. Keeping fast fish in this tank is also difficult because it's so hard to catch them with the little opening.

Fluval Chi tanks are pretty too but you run into lighting problems if you want to keep live plants. Both size tanks are pretty nice but water level needs to be kept low from preventing fish from jumping. They may make an accessory to prevent jumpers, but I haven't seen it. Fluval also recently came out with lots of fake plant accessories for this tank and spiffy tank backgrounds, so keep an eye out if you are interested.

Fluval Spec is an awesome little tank for shrimps and snails. It has a very powerful filtration system that is hidden nicely in the back of the tank. With the LED lights, you can probably keep low light plants in the tank. The tank is more of a pico tank than a nano. Swimming room is probably only ~1.5 gallons in this 2 gallon tank, 0.5 gallons is in the area with the filtration. Not really ideal for any fishy to swim in.

Fluval Ebi/Fluval Flora are probably the best of the fluval series to keep bettas in. They are 8 gallon tanks that come with a glass cover to keep jumpers in. Fluval Ebi comes with stuff to prepare the tank for shrimps, shrimp food and other stuff. It comes with the same light as the Fluval Flora, so you can grow plants in the Ebi. Fluval Flora comes with everything you need to make a nice planted tank, good substrate, decent light, and injectable CO2. Both have a fake rock background and pretty much come with everything you need to start a tank.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Hope this helps ;)

Last edited by ilovebunnies; 12-27-2010 at 02:22 PM.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #8 
luvem

Fluval Chi

I have the 5 gal. Fluval Chi and am having a problem getting the fountain to work. Have tried the instructions that came with it and still no luck. The sucking noise is driving me nuts! Thanks!
luvem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM   #9 
fflores

i bought the 6.6gal tank today... have to wait til tomorrow to fill it up because i don't think the glass top table that would put it on might not hold the 60 or so pounds. So tomorrow i have to pick up a side table
Old 12-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #10 
ilovebunnies

Can't wait to see pics, it will be eye candy for all!
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote