Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #1 
BettaBetty

Heater never getting to preset 78

It always just stays at 72 no matter what. Its a preset heater, and it works, Ive returned one three times thinking it didnt work but that all do the same thing.

The fish dont really seem to care, but I care about having it the right temp.

What do you suggest to warm it up? Cardboard around the sides?
BettaBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #2 
sjones

I'd get a refund if you can and buy a different one. Out of curiosity did you get it at walmart? I had the same issue and the guy told me they just put them back on the shelves. So I got one that looked the same but was a different brand from a petstore
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:39 AM   #3 
TonyK

I had a Marineland that wouldn't get above 72. I returned it and got a Fluval. Return the heater and get one that works.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 AM   #4 
Harley

Out of curiosity, have you tried a different thermometer? Maybe they are right but the thermometer is miss-advising you. If you replace it again, try to get an adjustable one.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #5 
copperarabian

I have a Tetra 50W submersible heater (for 2g to 10g) that keeps my aquarium at 78 and I've never noticed fluctuations.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #6 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I have a Tetra 50W submersible heater (for 2g to 10g) that keeps my aquarium at 78 and I've never noticed fluctuations.
You must be lucky! I have had 3 tetra heaters and they totally suck. I will never purchase a preset heater ever again! I only use the ones I have for absolute emergencies. Hagen's Elite mini heater 25W is an amazing heater. You can get it from Amazon for pretty cheap.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #7 
nowzem

I bought a small marinelane one (10w) and it says it is preset, but then it says it will raise the temp 7• above room temp (so that's technically not pre set to 78• like I assumed.) The little thing works great tho and stays at 77...I use a digital thermometer to test all my aquariums and thermometers...the thermometers (esp the floating one I got) are not as accurate so I make sure they are working with the one digital one I have :))
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #8 
orphansparrow

my heater took about a solid week to get up to 78...now it pretty much stays there, but for several days it was only at 72. :/ i have a marina brand preset.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #9 
Luimeril

my brother has two of those. one, stays at 76, while the other at 78. o.0 it's odd, but stays stable, and George(the 76 one) seems to enjoy it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #10 
BettaBetty

Thanks everyone for the replies. It looks like im not the only one who's ever had this issue! I'll give it awhile longer and see what happens. If it never gets up past 72 I'll find another brand and another store!
BettaBetty is offline   Reply With Quote