Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #1 
brewerfan

I think my fish is weird...

I think he's messed up in the head. I've read in a few places that betta's don't like currents or moving water much, so after plugging in my filter and seeing the waves caused by it, I unplugged it and looked up how to build a baffle. After I finished up with that I plugged the filter back in, everything looked good, little to no surface disruption happening, life is good. After a few days I started hearing a frantic 'wavy' sound from my tank, so right away I am terrified by what may be happening and rush over to the tank. There's my fish doing laps through the baffle and back again. Has anyone else seen this? Is it normal? I'm not really concerned at all, he seems just fine and dandy, it just seems odd so I was wondering if anyone else had seen anything like it...
brewerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

wait he's jumping into the filter or head butting the baffle?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:25 AM   #3 
Harley

Ha, that's funny Maybe you can time his laps and see if he gets faster over time! He may become a marathon swimmer.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #4 
brewerfan

My baffle is a gatorade bottle with the top and bottom cut off, a slit down the side and placed around the filter return. He swims from one open end to the other, behind the filter intake, then back around. He does this a lot, sometimes he will do laps for up to 5 minutes. I call him a weirdo, but I don't think he understands me...

Last edited by brewerfan; 05-10-2011 at 03:06 AM.
brewerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #5 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh geez. 8[ You'll want to get rid of that baffle and buy some aquarium foam instead at the Pet store to baffle your filter.

We had a couple bettas die after getting stuck in there. One just got stuck in the baffel, and the other one died after swimming like yours then jumping into the filter if I'm not mistaken. I might be wrong about the second situation but the first one I'm absolutely positive about.

You'll want to get an Aquaclear filter foam refill for 30 gallon filters. Then rubber band it over the outflow.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #6 
scootshoot

Some betta's love currents as evidenced by this clip. This is from a thread late last year of a poster here who couldn't figure out how his betta was getting inside the filter. Another poster recommended a spy cam and this was the result. It's cute how he takes his last gasp of air, okay here I go!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsZ7ynQuzo

Last edited by scootshoot; 05-10-2011 at 11:28 AM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #7 
Tisia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Some betta's love currents as evidenced by this clip. This is from a thread late last year of a poster here who couldn't figure out how his betta was getting inside the filter. Another poster recommended a spy cam and this was the result. It's cute how he takes his last gasp of air, okay here I go!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsZ7ynQuzo
I love the frantic wiggling as he prepares himself to jump, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #8 
Veronica

Before I baffled my filter, Razz used to go over to the current and "surf" or swim in place in it. I think he was a little disappointed I buzzkilled his surfdom! :o)
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:00 AM   #9 
gbose

Why not just get rid of the baffle and see how he does?
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #10 
Veronica

I'm concerned about his fins (at least on the inflow) so that would stay baffled. It's only a 2.5 gallon so I'm also concerned he'd wear himself out - lol! Might take out the baffle on the outflow off once in awhile under supervision just to see what he does!
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote