Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #1 
anbu

Algae

Hi I was wondering if theres algae all over the inside of a fish tank be benefitcial for the betta or does it harm the betta? I like like the look of it.
anbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #2 
kif3

o.o i dnt think it is beneficial for him :/ im not completely sure though sorry
kif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #3 
inkrealm

I was told in most cases to remove it. >^< you might post in the habitat forum asking for algae/moss-resembling plants if you like the looks? ^-^ how often are you water changing and is it cycled? P:
if it's not cycled and you're not in the process of cycling it then you need to be doing a 100% every day including cleaning the gravel. .^. your little buddy will get ammonia poisoning and die a very painful unhappy death D:
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

What kind of algae...generally green spot, brush type algae are harmless and can even help make the tank look more natural and provide places for the Betta to graze on microorganisms, however, since its a closed system some control and manual removal is needed with the weekly water changes......Blue green algae can be harmful...but its not really an algae but a bacteria....ID the algae and add some pic along with tank stats- so we can better help you
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #5 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkrealm View Post
if it's not cycled and you're not in the process of cycling it then you need to be doing a 100% every day including cleaning the gravel. .^. your little buddy will get ammonia poisoning and die a very painful unhappy death D:
This depends on the size of the tank. You don't need 100% daily in a 2.5G or bigger.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #6 
inkrealm

oops, I meant if they don't have a filter either, sorry, thanks Canuck ^-^;

Last edited by inkrealm; 05-16-2011 at 12:06 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #7 
anbu

anbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #8 
gbose

Nice tank. I don't believe the algae are harmful -- if anything, they are probably good for the tank and fish. After a while, if you find there's too much, you could just scrub the inside of the tank......

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #9 
LeroyTheBetta

Now, I've only been keeping fish for about 5 months, so based on my limited knowledge I'll give it a shot:

You could be overfeeding your fish to some degree and/or maybe too much light. You don't have any plants in your tank to compete with the algae, so the algae get to use up whatever nutrients are present and grow. I couldn't give an opinion on if your tank has good or bad algae, but if it's the good stuff... it's a simple "plant" and can benefit your tank a little. It can remove a tiny bit (there's not much algae) of the toxins in your tank, just as a normal plant would. Also, a free salad bar for your fish, if they like algae!

So, just my 2 cents.... anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong. Just my basic understanding of things. :)

Last edited by LeroyTheBetta; 05-17-2011 at 02:50 AM.
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #10 
SillyCone

I think maybe is because of the dark sand but the aquarium kinda looks like the apocalypse zone... XD!

But I don't see the problem, you can always buy those anti-algae sponges and clean it.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote