Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #1 
Larsa

Help (pleases!) Too small or no? O_o

So I wanna make a little mini sorotity tank with 3, repeat, 3 female bettas that are LITERALY .80 of an inch big. They are one combtail, a halfmoon, and a veil all 2-3 months old. I am getting a 10 gal from a friend with a small but great filter so it wouldnt take up space. Someone told me that was way too small for 3 female bettas. I flipped out like, really, really? -_- my landlord says my spouse and I cant have a tank bigger than a 10 gal or we get slapped with a $200 fee. Is 10 gal ok for 3 LITTLE female bettas???

Be kind please...I had a rough day( and week) - now unemployed, paid for bills, groceries, gas, stocking up on aquarium supplies, and a new fishie Kasumi : P
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

10 gallons is fine for three you could add a fourth if you cycle it, get a couple of bunches of stem plants (like Annacharis or Water Sprite, they double as great floaters too), and the right light (6,700 Kelvin CFLs (daylight CFLs)).

Cycling takes a while though and you'll want to get the plants and cycle with them in the tank so that they have time to grow before you add your fish. you are doing a fishless cycle right?
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:30 AM   #3 
ilovebunnies

There are a few people on the forum that use a 10 gallon for a sorority. I am no expert and have never had a sorority but from what I read a 10 gallon is good to start. Just make sure you have plenty of hiding places for them. Oh, and I think people recommend 4-6 bettas in a sorority. Sometimes certain bettas are just not good for sorority living so you have to be prepared for that fish to live on their own.

I'm sure someone else can give you more advice :)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 AM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

^^^^ Exactly. You'll want to be prepared in case you need to keep some in permanent isolation.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #5 
Larsa

Thank you that makes me feel better! :P I havnt got the tank yet but I will cycle the water asap. I use aquarium salt, decholrinator, and betta conditioner in natural spring water for all my bettas and let the filter run for a day ( mine does 30 gal an hour ). Im new to sororities so I wanna start with 3 : )

Are live plants optional? iv had Axolotys/tetras and live plants before caused algae problems and I had to do massive water changes every other day T-T
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #6 
Burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
Thank you that makes me feel better! :P I havnt got the tank yet but I will cycle the water asap. I use aquarium salt, decholrinator, and betta conditioner in natural spring water for all my bettas and let the filter run for a day ( mine does 30 gal an hour ). Im new to sororities so I wanna start with 3 : )

Are live plants optional? iv had Axolotys/tetras and live plants before caused algae problems and I had to do massive water changes every other day T-T
I've now had live plants in both of my tanks for over a month now. I've had minor algae issues but it cleared up within a week's time on it's own. Live plants are optional but they add so much to a tank, both for your betta's benefit and visually. They're also not much more expensive and in some cases cheaper than fake plants. :)
Burd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #7 
iheartmybettas

Honestly I would start with more than 3. Probably 5 or 6. The reason is that females are still aggressive and you have to spread the aggression out. With only 3, you could end up with 2 totally beating the crap out of the 3rd. There are the few exceptions. They might be fine but I wouldn't risk it unless you can sit there and watch them all the time. And the 10 gallon is fine. That is what I started out with. Good luck!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #8 
Tisia

Quote:

you shouldn't be adding salt unless you're actually treating for something. diseases can become resistant to it and make it much harder to cure when something does pop up, and over time it can damage their kidneys as well

if you have enough fast growing live plants, it can actually help keep down the algae growth, since the plants will be eating the nutrients the algae would
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #9 
DarkMoon17

Quote:

How long do you plan to cycle it? From ^^^^ it sounds like just one day? Cycling usually takes around 3 weeks...

From my experience, 3 bettas tear each other to pieces. The more you have, the better. 5 would be a good number for a 10 gallon :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #10 
Larsa

Thank you!!! all answers are helpful. I will try to get some plants from petsmart : ) Bettatalk.com (Faith Granger's site) and 2 of my friends said to add 1/2 tsp per gallon of api aqua salt to prevent certain diseases thats why I am add it : ) I have an emergency kit too. Wanna be prepared!