Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #11 
PewPewPew

Heh, that site says a lot of this I dont agree with >~>"

Dont add it unless you need it, and if you have live plants, dont add it because it will kill them.

The needed dose for AQ salt, in order to do ANYTHING is 1tsp/gallon. So, in a ten gallon, you need 10tsp. Using 5 is like taking a half dose of asprin. It does nothing, and youre just getting used to it over time, building a resistance.

Cycling isnt what you think it is btw, I can tell by what you said. I can send a pm about what it is and how to do it, if you would like.

And derp derp derp seconding the 4-6 bettas, keeping it HEAVILY planted with fake or real plants and hidey spots.

Be prepared, though, to get some hurt fish, and if it doesnt work out, plan on giving a few away. You can divide that tank max of 4 times, so if it doesnt work out, you can keep four in with dividers.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #12 
DarkMoon17

^^^ Seconded. Don't add salt unless your fish are sick. They will build up a resistance to it and when you do need it to treat your fish it won't be affective. I like Faith's site but keep in mind that she doesn't even enforce heated tanks for bettas so she lost me...

You will need to properly cycle your tank, especially if you plan to stock it so heavily. If you don't cycle it, the nitrites/ammonia/nitrates will fluctuate wildly, stressing your fish (which leads to illness and possible death...).
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #13 
Larsa

ok! thanks I will stop adding salt : ) a pm would be lovely!! I need help cycling O.o today I got Ryu a 3 gal tank and my 2 females are separated for now until I get at least 3 more. Would I add all the females in at once?
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #14 
Jupiter

I dunno, I think you might be able to pull it off with the right females, since every betta is different...

But I'd keep an eye on them just in case. 4 is ideal and 5 is even better, usually when there are three two will gang up against one.

Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #15 
iheartmybettas

I always add them all at once...
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #16 
Larsa

Kasumi nips other girls' fins so I picked up some fish meds at the store today. When I add my females together Im prepared for helping my baby girls heal ripped fins and any future infections : )
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #17 
DarkMoon17

Awesome, it's good to be prepared.

I always add them all at once so they don't have time to set up territories.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #18 
iheartmybettas

Good luck!!! Sororities can be quite stressful but the enjoyment out weighs the stress. With ripped fins you don't really need medicine if you just keep up your water changes or add in a couple of extra during the week. They heal pretty quickly on their own with clean water. :)
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote