Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #11 
gmd1800

^ Since bettas are carnivores, it's better to feed them food that have protein for the first ingredient so they're getting all the nutrients they need.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #12 
DarkMoon17

Pellets high in wheat also tend to expand more and can cause bloating/impaction.

I love Atison's betta pellets. They only have 40% protein but they have great ingredients. They are also tiny and don't expand much compared to other pellets. I give Atison's pellets in the AM and frozen blood worms (brine shrimp or glassworms) in the PM to support their diet :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #13 
orphansparrow

thanks all, i bought him some aquarian brand color enhancing pellets. (for the high protein content) the first time he ate one, i could tell he was having trouble with it. he kept doing that little "chewing" thing that they do, over and over. and then he looked sort of dazed for a while, and kept opening and closing his mouth a lot. finally, he sort of spit up, and little gooey parts of food came out of his mouth.

i think it may be because i didn't soak them first. :o i'll do that for sure next time.
orphansparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #14 
Littlebittyfish

I use new life spectrum betta formula..I wanted to get the growth formula since my one guy has bad tailbiting issues... but nowhere around here was selling it :(
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #15 
Lion Mom

You can find the Growth Formula on Ebay if you shop on-line.

I do! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #16 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliwind View Post
Not to confuse... I myself don't understand how it works, but high quality food such as New Life Spectrum only has 37% protein (?)
Not all of the NLS formulae have the same % of protein. There are a few that have 45 to 50%.

This chart shows the nutritional values of NLS's different types of food:

http://www.tqtf.com.au/pdf%27s/techSheetA4.pdf
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #17 
Larsa

I highly recondmend New Life Spectrum Betta formula. The ingredients are great -made with fruits, and give amazing noticeable resaults. They sink, but bettas should be able to eat them before they sink. My water babies vigorously eat these and om nom nom them instantly ( they beg for more too) the pellet sizes are kinda mixed so you get tiny pieces and large pieces in a container. Pricey but worth the price. If you reeeaaallly want them Petco has no cameras ; P I PROMISE these pellets work when they say they inhance coloration, my bettas are soooooooo much more vibrant ( i need to take new gallery pics )

Id stay away from pellets with a lot of wheat ( normally these are floating pellets ) They are junk and too much wheat+ overfeeding= fat bettas. Hikari pellets have lots of wheat :'(

*** I honetly ate some different brands to see for myself what tastes better and Hikari Bio Gold taste like bread and NLS actually taste better than any other pellet.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #18 
Littlebittyfish

So far my bettas really love the new life spectrum betta pellets..I let a few sink last night and my corydoras love them too! haha.My corydoras are babies and I think the sinking shrimp pellets are too big sometimes. I will look for the growth formula online for my bettas..that is a pretty good idea!
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #19 
Lion Mom

"Not to confuse... I myself don't understand how it works, but high quality food such as New Life Spectrum only has 37% protein (?)"

I wondered about that also so I contacted the company last year. They told me it isn't the % of protein that is as important as the QUALITY of protein.

Be that as it may, I still like a higher protein % for my boys so that is why I feed the Growth Formula with 50% protein. Teeny, tiny size also so nobody has any trouble eating it. Heck, even my brandy new guppy fry can eat it!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #20 
turtle10

Wheat is bad for bettas because bettas are carnivores. Feeding wheat to bettas is like feeding toast to a tiger or a lion lol. The wheat is a cheap way to get more product with out spending money on fish.

Quality > Quantity
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote