Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #1 
BlueHaven

Jungle Fungus Clear? My betta has a serious fungus problem...

Well not long ago my poor VT Thai got 2 fungus spots on him.
I changed his water and put in aquarium salt, his temperature was already in the 80s...but it didn't go away. I did test his water, there is no filter but some plants and I'm doing daily water changes (obviously something must have gone wrong, I must not have been doing enough...:/ ).
So all I needed to test for was ammonia and PH.
I admit I did not test the ammonia right away, I just did a large water change and started doing more frequent ones.
I did skip out on a water change or two before, but not without changing a little bit of it.
Anyway, It did not go away and I saw white rings on both eyes.
I got Jungle Fungus clear and tested the water (Ammonia 0 and PH was a little off because of the Seachem Flourish Excel for the plants, I accidently added a bit too much, either that or it was the coconut I put in there). Before I bought the medication, I put him in a quarantine vase siting in his permanent home, with a tiny amount of aquarium salt and daily water changes. When I bought the Jungle Fungus Clear, I dissolved the right amount into a 2 gallon quarantine container, and after adding the conditioner I put him in, then took the vase (the vase is the only thing that fits in his home, I need to re clean his whole home out) and scooped him back into it along with the medication.
So he is sitting in his vase, in his permanent home to keep a warm temperature, with the medication. Today I noticed the fungus dissapearing!!!
This whole time he has not stopped bouncing around eagerly for food, but he hasn't been active ALL the time like normal.
He must be a very happy betta. Which makes me feel worse about my little probelm of not keeping up the water changes as normal...
I love all of my fish, and I say equally, I don't treat one better than the other (except pampering Thai a little bit more), but he is my favorite, he is the first betta I've ever had.
All of them have their own place with me!
Haha
BUT
The directions for using this I need help!!!
As I said before i'm keeping him with the medication in the (I am not using aquarium salt or anything else with it) vase.
He has room to swim and look at his surroundings, of course not as much. If I need to move him to something bigger let me know!
It says after four days, change 25 percent and a second dose may be added.
How do I do this with him in a vase?!
I may have mest up a little here on planning this out.
I'm going to check the water he's in and make sure the ammonia is not up.
BUT in a small container, I need to do daily water changes.
Do I need to continue changing the water and readding this medication?
Or what...?
I added the medication yesterday.
PLEASE HELP.

Thank you for reading this long post.

NOTE:
I ordered Indian Almond Leaves that should get here sometime this week.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #2 
Canuck Fins

Sorry to hear your fish is sick. That's always tough.

How many days have you had Thai quarantined and treating him?
The QT is 2 gallons, yes? So what is your water change schedule on the QT?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 
iheartmybettas

Personally I would change the water w/medication every day since he is in a small QT. I would only follow the water changing directions on a tank of 10 gallons or more.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #4 
BlueHaven

Yea, thanks. :/
:)

I've been quarantining him for around 3-4 days. For 2 days he was QT with a tiny bit of salt, and then I started using the Fungus clear.
I started treating him before in his own home, then switched him to a QT home that is sitting inside his normal home. Haha
Actually, I am keeping him in a vase, but I used the 2 gallon to fix up the medication. I was going to put him in the 2 gallon, but it doesn't fit into his permanent home, a 5 gallon. The heater I'm afraid to put in the 2 gallon because it is plastic and it's not one of those hydor ones, it gets really warm.
Should I move him to something bigger?

I have been doing daily 100 percent water changes on the vase he has been in. I AM supposed to do 100 percent right? To get rid of any ammonia?
I am confused as how to use the medication in the vase.

Oh, I just saw your post, iheartmybettas, thanks!

Last edited by BlueHaven; 05-10-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #5 
iheartmybettas

In this case it might be easier to just treat the 5 gallon. You know that 1 tablet is for 10 gallons so you can break it in half and drop it in. Then you could follow the water changing instructions of waiting 4 days if it is a cycled 5 gallon. You can also repeat the dosing after you do the water change if the fungus hasn't gone away.

When I had a sorority in a 10 gallon I had to treat that sucker like 3 times in a row. My girl with the fungus got better finally after the 3rd try.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #6 
BlueHaven

It's not cycled though. I had tried to cycle it, and I cycled it safely with Thai, he did not get any problems. But then I was stupid and changed the whole tank, cleaning it all out without keeping the filter in water. I didn't want to recycle it and have any change of problems for my betta (and others in their own homes), so I left them with no filter and daily water changes, to frequent water changes and live plants. I don't have enough fast growing plants for it to be maintained really well without a filter, so I do more water changes.
I'm getting fast growing plants soon. Right now they all have marimo moss balls, one has a java fern, one hornwort, and the other anubias nana and aponogetin bulb. Thai has the most plants at the moment. It's easier that way for me, I get stressed easily, so all I need to do is change their water and check for ammonia and PH, and the high range PH.
I went back and changed the QT vase Thai's in, I just used a 1 gallon jug to measure the medication. Changed his water that way.
Is that okay?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

Mixing the medication in a gallon jug works pretty well. Just make sure you keep up on the daily water changes and replace the correct amount of medication. Some medications are light sensitive so try to darken the tank a bit.

If you choose to treat him in the 5 gallon tank, pre mix the whole Jungle Tablet in water and add half to the tank. Breaking the tablet in half can lead to over or under dosage.

Good luck with him :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #8 
BlueHaven

Okay, thank you!!
:D

I will definitely keep up with the water changes. I moved the lid to the side of the tank, so the light is lower and I covered it with a hand towel.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #9 
BlueHaven

Okay!
Today I brought him into the dining room for better light and his fungus spots are dissapearing!! I only saw 1 left.
BUT my worry is that he has these white rings around each eye.
They aren't cloudy, just the white rings, literally.
Is this part of the fungus problem too?
The medication i'm using helps the fungus problem as well as several other things, like dropsy (he doesn't have that), and fin rot.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #10 
DarkMoon17

It's great to hear that he is improving! It could just be his coloring. I have had a betta with white circles around his eyes, but a picture would help if you could get one :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote