Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #1 
BluInk

ANUBIAS...fishing line vs. plant anchors

I have a 2.5g tank with Amazon Swords, Micro Swords, and some Java Moss tied to a piece of driftwood.

The Amazons are shading a spot on the driftwood that would be perfect for Anubias. However, I'm very reluctant to take the driftwood out in order to tie the Anubias to it. It's a HUGE piece (in relation to the size of the tank) and I went through a considerable amount of grief to get it positioned exactly like I wanted it. Plus the tank is recently cycled and I just put my new Betta, Man Ray, in there 2 days ago, so I don't want to mess with it.

Has anyone used plant anchors with Anubias plants? I'm not too worried about the aesthetics since there's a ridge in the driftwood that would partially hide the anchor, but I'm concerned if the anchor would somehow disturb the rhizome. Any shared experience or opinions welcome. Thanks!
BluInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:19 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Is there a way you can place the anubias so that its kinda wedges on/between the wood and not use anything at all to attach it...the roots would attach itself in time.....

I have never used the plant anchors so I don't know much about them or what they are made out of to know the long term effects it would have on the tank...I have used fishing weights that I have tied to plants and once they attached themselves I cut them away to remove from the tank with no ill effect....

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

I have heard of people using glue...I wouldn't personally do it though....I don't trust it...

I dont have any fishing line...so...I use sewing thread to tie down my anubias and java moss.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #4 
BluInk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Is there a way you can place the anubias so that its kinda wedges on/between the wood and not use anything at all to attach it...the roots would attach itself in time.....

I have never used the plant anchors so I don't know much about them or what they are made out of to know the long term effects it would have on the tank...I have used fishing weights that I have tied to plants and once they attached themselves I cut them away to remove from the tank with no ill effect....
Thanks!

Can you post a pic....
The area is a kind of bowl-like depression in the wood that's actually pretty smooth for a piece of driftwood.

The anchors are made out of soft lead and look like twist ties. My guy at the LFS says they're safe to use, so that's good enough for me as he's given me some very good advice in the past. I thought I could just loosely place it over the rhizome and then remove it once the roots attach themselves. But I actually like your idea of using a small fishing weight. They sell fishing supplies at the LFS too, so I think that's my solution. Even though I'm pretty sure that you've solved my issue, I'll try to snap a pic when I get in tonight just in case you see something that I don't. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #5 
BluInk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
I have heard of people using glue...I wouldn't personally do it though....I don't trust it...
I know! I read a post on another forum where somebody used Crazy Glue in their tank. That's insane to me!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

I use small amounts of quality black sewing string :) I dont have fishing line or weights.

Ive used it for a year with no ill effects, and it keeps it well in place and is hardly noticeable. Mine rooted in about 2-4 weeks (slow dude, this anubias lol) and I just snipped the string, no big deal, no harm done.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anubias, driftwood, plant anchor