Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #1 
Punki

I think i spoiled him.

I got My Betta Fishy 2 months ago, since then hes moved from a 1/2 gallon bowl to a 2 gallon tank to a 3 gallon tank, all along that time hes eaten his flakes. I tried pellets tried crushing them, and soaking them but nope, spit them out. I live in Florida on a manmade island with a canal all around. As gross and muggy as the area is, theres a good thing, Mosquito Larva! I took a little net and netted them out of a bucket that i sat outside and got lazy with last year so it filled with rainwater and suddenly i have a big bucket of them. I rinsed them off in the tap and then put them in a cup of conditioned water overnight, the next day i netted them out of the cup and then feed him 4 in the morning and 4-6 at night. Hopefully this isnt too much but his stomach doesnt seem to bloat at all so i think hes alright with the amount. He LOVES chasing them, so much that infact, this week has been rainy and ive been busy so i tried to just feed him his Bettamin flakes that he usually jumps for but instead of jumping he would just graze them and spit over nad over, leaving a mess to vacuum up. So i gave pellets another try, no luck. I figure maybe he just needs a day of not eating and maybe hed be more willing so i fasted him yesterday and today, spit spit spit. I gave in and netted some more mosquito larva and fed him 5 of them which he quickly chased down and gobbled up. But im worried, when it gets cool in the winter you dont see many mosquitos. What options do i have besides buying live foods from the petstore? My husbands kinda rolling his eyes lately at the thought of buying more items after buying 2 tanks, thermometer, filter, 2 types of food, spring water left and right and water conditioner so i dont want to add another thing to the list of things needed if i dont have to. Will he eventually get hungry and accept the bettamin flakes or pellets or did i spoil him too much? =x He expects his food to run and get a chase down, not just float there boring. lol
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #2 
Harley

well you could try yet another brand or type of pellet. I've had good luck with (can't remember exact name) micro pellets from NutraFin. He would spit out normal sized pellets but likes these ones.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #3 
Punki

Thanks for the suggestion, would those be at petsmart or walmart? Thats the only two places around here who sell ANYTHING fish related. I wish we had more. I may check a few sites online for foods as well.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #4 
bamsuddenimpact

I like Aqueon Betta Food. the pellets are tiny. I have a pic around here somewhere of one of them on my normal sized finger tip..let me go look.

found it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58756026@N02/5713492497/
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #5 
Blaze54

My bettas LOVE their Bettamin pellets,with the occasional bloodworm. The pellets are very tiny and you get tons in a like $2 container. Just a suggestion. Hope you find something
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #6 
Blaze54

Oh and there at Wal-Mart.
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #7 
tokala

What a lucky little guy! You could try frozen blood worms as a treat as well- you can buy them in cubes from most pet stores. They are essentially the same thing so I am sure he would not hesitate to gobble them up. However, it would be really great if you could find a pellet/flake he likes so that he gets a balanced diet. Sounds like you have gotten some good suggestions on here- good luck and keep us posted! :)
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #8 
Punki

Thanks for the suggestions, ill be making a trip to walmart in a few days, ill write these down :) Petsmart is right next door so ill check there also. Also, these larvae, if i caught them and froze them myself, would that be good for a winter snack? We have Mosquitos about 9 months out of the year unfortunatly for us (fortunatly for him!) so i could gather up some for winter if it would work!
Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #9 
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, would those be at petsmart or walmart? Thats the only two places around here who sell ANYTHING fish related. I wish we had more. I may check a few sites online for foods as well.
I got them at PetSmart
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #10 
Pekemom

Varied diet is best. So, hopefully at some point, you will be able to give him a tiny bit of more than one type of food. I feed a combo of micropellets (just a pinch) and a tiny bit of flake for breakfast. For dinner, one or two freeze dried bloodworms and a pinch of brine shrimp. So far, so good!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote