Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #1 
Kytkattin

My Betta is acting super up upset

Since I got a new betta, my first boy has been hiding under his sponge filter more. He will go flare at the new boy, then swim really fast to the other side of his tank, and then down under his filter. Before I got the new boy he had never flared even once. The new boy flares and then hides too. My first boy is still eating just fine, and comes out and ignores the new fish when I go up to the tank. I put up a divider for now, but don't want to keep it long term. Will they eventually get used to each other? If they will eventually get used to each other what is the best way to get them used to each other? Should I take the screen down permanently, or just give them some flare time a few hours a day?

Sorry for the horrible grammar in the title. That was an oopsie! I don't know how to change it!

Last edited by Kytkattin; 05-24-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Appologizing for the stupid title
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #2 
Sakura8

How long have they been "tankmates"? It may take a week for them to get used to each other. As long as no one is injuring themselves by attacking the screen or going off their food, I would suggest waiting it out and seeing if they eventually settle down.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #3 
Silverfang

If you have two male bettas the only way they can live in the same tank is if it's divided, otherwise you'll end up with one or more dead bettas. They are also known as Fighting fish, they can be quite aggressive. Really you need to keep the divider, or get another tank. Just wondering what size tank you have for them.

The reason your first betta is acting so strangely is the new betta is invading his home. In the wild they would fight to the death over who got to live there.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #4 
Twilight Storm

It's good for your Bettas to flare every day. According to some things I have read it says it works their muscles, although excessive flaring can make them damage their fins in some cases.

I have two boys near enough they can see each other and they flared at each other for the first few days and since stopped. If I put paper up between them for a day and take it down so they can see each other again they flare.

That is just my own experience though, I don't know if it is a fish per fish basis or not. I suppose it might also depend on how long you've had the new guy.

If I am way off base I hope someone corrects me, but I would say leave the divider down, but watch your fish for a few days.

Make sure they don't start to develop little pin holes or rips in their fins (possible damage from flaring too much) and see if they will relax enough with each other to stop being stressed and hiding from each other. If they keep that up, or develop damage I would think about moving them apart so they can't see each other.

Best wishes

Edit to add that I didn't understand the fish were in the same tank. In that case yes you have to get two tanks, or leave the divider up. (man everyone here posts so fast! :D)

Last edited by Twilight Storm; 05-24-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: missed a key bit of info
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

They are in TWO TANKS. Sorry that was not clear before They are in two, 2gallon bowls, right next to each other with plastic on the top so they cannot jump (and they could not reach each other even if they did flop out). The only way they are connected at all is that they share the same air pump, which is 2ft away from them in the first place (but also why I cannot move one of the bowls to a different area). I am well aware that they would kill each other if put in the same tank.

All I need to know is if it is good or bad for them to flare, and if they will eventually get used to each other and flare less. It sounds like it is somewhat natural though, so I will let the flaring continue!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:58 AM   #6 
Wyvern

My two boys took about a week to stop flaring at each other constantly. Now its an occasional flare. They have both also realised there is no way for them to get to the other one - trust me they tried at first. Now they are both happy and relaxed and mainly just flare at me when I move to close to their tank. Both my boys did over do the flaring tho I think and they both got a few minor rips in their fins. But its slowly growing back now that Im treating it with Rooibos tea tannins.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #7 
Blaze54

^^^That's why petstore bettas don't flare at each other. They just get used to seeing other bettas and figure out they can't reach me and I can't reach them. Good luck with them .
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #8 
Silverfang

sorry about the mix up.
They may grow accustomed to each other, or he may keep stressing out. If you wanted to separate them you could just remove the air pump from one of the bowls. It's not necessary, and it might even be better for the little guys sanity.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote