Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #1 
forscl24

55 Gallon tank suggestions/help...

I just put my 55 gallon tank together last night so that it can start to cycle.

When it is ready for bettas I will be putting multiple FEMALE BETTAS in.

I would like to put 2 or 3 real plants in as well.

I have never had a big fish tank before.

WHAT SUGGESTIONS, WARNINGS, RECOMMENDATIONS, DOs & DONTS DO YOU HAVE?

Any knowledge to make this tank great is appreciated!
forscl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you can put in more than 2 or 3 real plants. There will be plenty of room for caves and decorarions for your girls to hide in.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

Have fun. :) From what I know about planted tanks, they, like bettas, do not like a lot of strong current. I also remember reading somewhere that a canister filter is the most recommended for a planted tank, not the ones that hang off the back. Something about the ones that hang off the back putting too much oxygen in the water and removing the stuff that plants breathe. Correct lighting specific to the types of plants you have selected would also be important, but you also probably already know that. THAT being said, I have never even had one live plant. so you probably should take my advice with a grain of salt.

I have a 55 gallon, but it is filled with Variatus, white skirted tetras, dojo loaches, black neons, and a plecy. It also is void of live plants, and is much too sparsely decorated for bettas. It was set up in 2002, when I was 12 so I do not remember anything about it being cycled. Good luck, and post pictures when you start decorating and such!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #4 
DarkMoon17

You can have a lot of fun with a 55 gal. I have 2 55gallons, both with 100% natural decor; driftwood, rocks, live plants... Internal filters are best for planted tanks. You can buy a ton of live plants for cheap online and you can get driftwood relatively cheap on ebay... Make sure you get floating plants and tall plants so that the bettas can feel safe at all levels. You could probably start with 7-10 bettas.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #5 
forscl24

Can you attach a picture of your tank? Drift wood is a great idea. I actually have a small collection of drift wood and I am interested to see what it looks like in the tank.

Right now we just have 1 male Betta in the tank while his 20 gallon is filtering. He is a VERY confident Betta and is not interested in utilizing any of the cool hiding places I made in the tank. He was put in there from a 1 gallon tank. It was so fun to watch him explore such a large tank.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #6 
forscl24

Large tank water change help

How often should I do water changes in my 55 gallon?

Also how many gallons should I be changing each time?

Any suggestions on the best way to do it?