Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #1 
iamjpapz

How Long to Build Bubblenest?

Hey All!

I am new to betta breeding so please excuse me if my questions are dumb. I have a crowntail female and a crowntail male who I both conditioned for two weeks. I put them in my ten gallon breeder tank (6 inches of water, a half of a styrofoam cup, a glass vial for the female to reside in, and a sponge filter). The two fish have been in the breeder tank for about 4 days now. They are both showing interest in each other and then female now has the vertical stripes. However, the male has not built a bubble nest. Once both fish are in the breeder tank does it usually take more than four days to build a bubble nest? What are the average time periods for the ale to begin building the bubble nest? Thanks in advance!

Justin
iamjpapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #2 
Dragonlady

Did the male ever build a nest in the past in your care? Personally, I usually don't attempt to breed males that are not making bubblenests. I have had males that did not build a nest until after spawning, but they were already building bubblenests in their own private quarters for weeks even before being introduced to a female. If this helps, most male bettas that want to breed will build a nest within 24-48 hours of being within view of a female betta.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote