Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: To filter or not to filter?
Keep filter on during day, off at night, until he gets used to it enough to have it on 24/7? 3 100.00%
Keep it turned off, to spare him the stress and unhappiness? So I can never have tankmates? 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Arrow Tank Filter Dilemma! Need input!

So, a couple weeks ago I got three new bettas. Spot, the betta in question, is in his own 14 gallon tank downstairs in my room with me. I have a filter for the tank, it is literally built on the tank, kind of like those minibow tanks.

I have both the intake and the outtake baffled to reduce current. However, knowing Spot had been in a tiny aquablock-thing in the petstore, I kept the filter off knowing he would have no muscles for the little current. So for the past two weeks or so I've kept it off, but I really want to cycle my tank so I can add tankmates one day, you know?

Spot is TERRIFIED of the filter current. He hates it. He can swim out of the current, but he doesnt like it at all. He clamps his fins a bit and swims around a little crazily. He looks pretty stressed while it's on. I turned it on today, and he was just miserable. Left him for awhile to get used to it, but he hasnt, so I turned it off.

Without it on, he's happy as a clam. If I give up on ever cycling, I guess that's okay, but meh. A film develops on top of the water a bit too, which I know is due to the water not circulating.

So, Do I leave the filter on during the day when I can watch him to make sure he's okay, then turn it off at night until he seems to be used to it to the point I can have it on all the time?
Or do I keep it off and give up on ever having tankmates?

Sorry for long post >_< lemme know what you think!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 AM   #2 
Harley

Hmmm. There's going to be a point when you can't watch him all the time that the filter is on. That's not fair to you. If he is able to swim through the current, I would leave it on. He'll get used to it I think, he just needs time to adjust it may just take a few days. The other benefit to cycling is of course the reduction of water changes. They can be a bit stressful too, so its trading one for the other. Just my opinion though.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:28 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Hmmm. There's going to be a point when you can't watch him all the time that the filter is on. That's not fair to you. If he is able to swim through the current, I would leave it on. He'll get used to it I think, he just needs time to adjust it may just take a few days. The other benefit to cycling is of course the reduction of water changes. They can be a bit stressful too, so its trading one for the other. Just my opinion though.
Thank you :D No one else commented >_> but yeah, I've been turning it on for a while every day to get him used to it, and so far it's working! Eventually I'll get a cycle once it's on 24/7 >:D Thats why I wanted to cycle actually, to reduce water changes. And so once day I could add cories. hehe :P
Old 05-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #4 
TonyK

14 gallons is a prtty big tank. I would think he would avoid the area if he didn't like it. I know you said the filter is baffled but, maybe you can put a bunch of plants in front of the intake and discharge of the filter. That would slow the flow down even more.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #5 
Thunderloon

What kind of filter is it? Brand name, etc. I'm thinking you have a Marineland hood. If it is and you keep the water level high enough that its above the impeller head on the motor you can really slow down the intake's flow by wrapping most the slots with electrical tape then putting an intake sponge over it to keep your boy off the intake. Just don't slow the water down so far that the bio-wheel stops turning.

If its not a marineland then take a picture of it, might be able to find you a deeper solution.

Generally you don't want to turn off a cycled tank for longer than feeding time.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 05-15-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #6 
bettafish15

The filter, nor the tank, is brand name. It hs no labels on it, and I cant find anything like it. The hood is apart of the tank. This is the tank:

You can see the intake and the motor, the opposite side of the tank is the outtake. This is what the filter, above the water at the back of the tank, looks like:

My tank isnt cycled, I know all about cycling and how turning the filter off kills it and all that stuff. :P My goal here is to get my fish to get used to the current so I can keep the filter on 24/7 and establish a cycle.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #7 
iamtetsuo

Try a sponge style filter instead, they produce a lot less current. The Duetto 100 by marineland is a good choice.
iamtetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #8 
nowzem

Its a nice tank. Looks like a marineland. Anyways...here's what I did...I left the filter on when I was home and could check on him. I turned it off when I was at work and at night. Now he's totally used to it (this took probably 2 weeks). I sometimes still turn it off at night because I'm worried about him getting stuck to the filter intake (mine is a tetra internal filter) but he even avoids that now. Your guys has lots of room and plenty of hiding places. I think he'll be fine with what you've done! Keep trying...but only you can really tell if you think its bothering him too much. I think turning it off and on shouldn't be too hard in the beginning. My tank still cycled even cutting it on and off like that (although it may have taken longer due to the lack of aeration). You can also try a different filter. I happen to love the internal ones made by tetra.
Oh and definitely try filling the tank completely. I had a marineland a long time ago that had terrible current unless I filled it completely!

Good luck! Keep us updated! I just love the look of your tank btw!
nowzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowzem View Post
Its a nice tank. Looks like a marineland. Anyways...here's what I did...I left the filter on when I was home and could check on him. I turned it off when I was at work and at night. Now he's totally used to it (this took probably 2 weeks). I sometimes still turn it off at night because I'm worried about him getting stuck to the filter intake (mine is a tetra internal filter) but he even avoids that now. Your guys has lots of room and plenty of hiding places. I think he'll be fine with what you've done! Keep trying...but only you can really tell if you think its bothering him too much. I think turning it off and on shouldn't be too hard in the beginning. My tank still cycled even cutting it on and off like that (although it may have taken longer due to the lack of aeration). You can also try a different filter. I happen to love the internal ones made by tetra.
Oh and definitely try filling the tank completely. I had a marineland a long time ago that had terrible current unless I filled it completely!

Good luck! Keep us updated! I just love the look of your tank btw!
My tank is definitely not a marineland, I checked :/ I will definitely try your idea ^^ I would get a different filter, but the hood wont allow it xD It has no cutouts or space for anything other than a heater cord, so I'm stuck using the filter as is. I actually can only fill the tank up that much, because the filter is over the water, if I fill it up more the water goes UP into the outtake. So I cant fill it more, sadly :/ I'm glad you like my tank ^^ It seems to be one of a kind :P Cant find any other tank that looks like mine, with the dark brown fake wood trim & hood and everything. :P
Old 05-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #10 
Diana S

Very nice tank ..what kind is it...I want one .for my girls I'll be gettin.lol Diana S
Diana S is offline   Reply With Quote