Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #1 
SillyCone

I have a problem ;c

My 10G still didn't arrive but now my dad started complaining the tank is too big (?) and he doesn't want to spend much money on the water, although I've been the one paying for the water. He said if the tank is too big once it arrives he will return it, idk what to do.

I was planning in get a female and a divider so I would have 2 bettas on a 10G.

Now i dunno what to do.

Maybe I will stop being lazy and get a part-job to shut his arse about the money spent ;E
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

The water's too much? All you need is tap water with conditioner. Consider cycling the tank, which would require normal/smallerish water changes to start, but over time/once its cycled, will need many many less water changes.

Also, you Can get a 5 gallon and divide in two, which would be fine. If its a male/female divide, get the hardest-to-see through divider possible, as seeing eachother will be stressful.

The minimum for 2 bettas is 5 gallons+.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #3 
SillyCone

London's tap water is FULL with hard chemicals due to over 200 years of open sewers over the Thames.

To have an idea, the water is WHITE, then randomly turns normal, if you don't clean your bathtub, it will get a whole crust over it. If you put on a glass and you let it evaporate it will be filled with white dust on it.

We have to use 2 filters or more to drink the water and even so it's hard, with a bad taste and probably will give us cancer.

I'm so not putting my fish on tap water.

I tried and in 5 hours the whole bowl was white-ish and the fish was super stressed.

Gov Report about the water on my neighbourhood:

Quote:
Commentary on Water Quality :
Very good water quality, but six infringements to report for metaldehyde. Our investigation
confirmed the levels of metaldehyde detected were not harmful to health. This is an industry wide
issue and we are actively working with agencies to find ways of reducing metaldehyde in the
environment
lol.

Last edited by SillyCone; 05-10-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #4 
Luimeril

tell him it's NOT too big. .___. 10 gallon's aren't as big as many think they are. i'm a weeny when it comes to heavy lifting, yet i tote our 10 gallon half-full of water accross the house. :/ will he let you at least get a 5 gallon? that's 2.5 gallons of water on each side, roughly.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #5 
SillyCone

idk, wait and see I guess.

I said to him we could fill up with stones half way lol!

He's thinking in what to do anyway. But we already bought the 10G, I hope he doesn't change his mind, cus I found so much decos to put on it already hahahah
Old 05-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

It actually seems like getting a smaller tank is generally just a better option. Youre paying more for space youre just filling with rocks/substrate, so its like having a smaller tank, anyway. There's no sense to this if so.

*confused*
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #7 
SillyCone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It actually seems like getting a smaller tank is generally just a better option. Youre paying more for space youre just filling with rocks/substrate, so its like having a smaller tank, anyway. There's no sense to this if so.

*confused*
the point of the deco is to be nice looking and less water.

having a smaller tank is less deco, same water.

Pfft, idk, I think he will give up on getting a smaller tank because all he does is complain Fillet needs a bigger environment anyway.

That's what happens when people gets old I guess. Hahahaha

ps: oh and I can just take a bit of the rocks week by week without him noticing ;3