Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #1 
Siamese Fighting Fish

Urgent Question!

Does unsoftened or "hard" water have salt in it? My mom says I can't use some warm water because it is unsoftened which mean it contains salt...

Is this true??
Siamese Fighting Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 PM   #2 
SillyCone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water

If you mean using hard water on your tanks?

I wouldn't advice you to use it, actually I'd say is the best to avoid it.

Hard water is not even good for human usage to be honest, I have to drink this sh*t everyday, since our tap water is hard water, it ain't good.

Well, my hard water also contains a bit of poison on it as well (LOL!) but not as much for human health problems, but would totally be bad for a fish for an example.

Try to find your tap water quality report, usually you can find at the government/state page.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #3 
DarkMoon17

I'm not sure... I thought they used salt to soften water? At least I remember pouring large bags of salt into our water softener back home. I never had to add salt to my water because it was already in there... IMO the only danger of using warm water is that it carries a higher concentration of metals than cold water. BUT I can't remember where I learned that. You can use a salt gauge to compare your hot and cold water salt concentrations...

EDIT: Actually, I believe Petco will test salt concentrations for free if you bring in both samples.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #4 
Siamese Fighting Fish

Okay guys thanks for the info! I was asking because I dont have anything to hold water in 1 day before a water change, so it becomes the right temp. when I am ready to change the water. Basically during the water change, I keep Monster in a vase, and when I am done AND the water that is in the tank is warm, I can put him. I wanted to use warm water so I dont need to keep him in a vase for 1 day. But I guess I'll have to.
Siamese Fighting Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #5 
gbose

All,

I'm confused. I did not think hard water had any salt (by which I mean table salt, aka sodium chloride) in it. I think it has mainly calcium and magesium compunds -- carbonates, sulphates, etc.

I don't believe it's harmful for either fish or humans. Now, if it is polluted and contains 'poisons' , that's different.

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #6 
iheartmybettas

We have the rain soft system that uses salt to filter our whole house. I never really thought about it but none of my fish have ever had any issues. Hmmm...

I don't ever age the water either. I use a python hose system and add conditioner as it refills.

Last edited by iheartmybettas; 05-10-2011 at 10:14 PM.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #7 
DarkMoon17

I assume that if your house uses a salt water softening system, then there would be more salt in your water. I was able to keep many brackish water species quite happy without ever adding salt to my water. My fish also had a lower incidence of illness in that house than in my others and IMO it had something to do with the salt content.

Siamese Fighting Fish it is safe to use warm water during water changes. Just make the tap water the same temp as the tank water so you can do it all at once. Remember to use a thermometer. If you are really concerned then you can take a sample of "hot" water and "cold" water to Petco and have them test the salinity.

gbose, hard water contains all sorts of minerals, including salt. However, most houses use softener systems that release additional salt into the water. As a result, chemically softened water has more salt in it then naturally hard water.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote