Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #1 
Poseidon

Beta Male living with a Female question

I have added my male into my female tank, the male spends a lot of its time attacking his own reflection, and swimming around looking for food until he finds the female, at which point he flares up (pushing his gills out) and slowly lurks in on the female until she runs away.... she evades him 100% of the time because shes so small and agile and finds somewhere to hide.... staying very still.... only going up for air very seldom....

is this normal? im keepin an eye out.... please give me some advice!
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #2 
gmd1800

Why is your male with your female? They shouldn't be kept together, ever, unless they're being spawned. In that case, the female should be taken out right after they're done spawning (and that should ONLY happen if they're conditioned and ready). They will end up fighting and possibly killing one or the other.

I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but it's for the welfare of both fish. Please take out the male. They shouldn't be together.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #3 
Poseidon

I was hoping that they would spawn.... I've been doing a little bit of research, can you give me some pointers
Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #4 
jmtriro01

one of them would die if you keep them together like that. they should not live together, unless you are trying to breed them, in that case you only keep them together for two or three days. your female could also kill your male if she fights back. put them in separates tanks now or your bettas will get beaten up and die of pain and exhaustion.
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #5 
Poseidon

I WANT them to breed though, so should I keep them together for another day or two? I introduced them about an hour ago.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 PM   #6 
DarkMoon17

If you want pointers on breeding, you should remove the male and then post your questions in the "Breeding Betta Fish" forum. It does not sound like you are prepared to spawn your bettas, please separate them or you are going to have dead fish. There are stickies in the breeding bettas forum that should help with your research...
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #7 
JKfish

Did you not read all those posts to your first thread? Research first.

Please....before you research, make SURE your bettas are seperated! Do you want them to kill each other? Think of the stress that girl is going through. That's a 5 gallon tank... She can't hide easily. The male could kill her... or she could kill them. They're not guppies. Research can take months, even years. When your head feels about ready to burst from reading so much, read through another 2 sites.

If they spawned (the chances of that are small), the dad would then go and hunt down the mom in such a small tank, seeing her as a threat to his bubblenest. Afterwards (if you got her out in time), he'd care for the babies. They'd be ready for food about 4 days after hatching. Live food. Cultures of microworms, vinegar eels, not pellets and stuff you can find in a petstore. You'd have to move the fry to a 20 gallon grow out tank... if there are any alive. Most probably would fall into the gravel and out of daddy's reach, so they'd die before the freeswimming stage. 50% or more water changes in a 20 gallon daily once you get them in the grow out. These are facts, merely that. I've barely scratched the surface. Think of the work once they are actually grown. If you think I'm trying to be mean, or rude, I apologize. These are facts, and right now your chances of a sucessful spawn is pretty much none.

Remove the female immediately, and get her a seperate tank (minimum 2.5 gallons, heated, etc).

Before you get into breeding, make sure at the very minimum, you can take care of the parents properly. If you can't take care of them, what makes you think you can care for say a small spawn of 20 fry (if they were to survive)?

Here are some questions you really ought to ask yourself right now. Is your set up for the male meeting the minumum requirements? Will your set up for the female meet the minimum requirements? Do you even know what the minimum requirements are?

When the members give you advise, it's typically a good idea to take it...

Last edited by JKfish; 05-10-2011 at 11:06 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #8 
gmd1800

I'm not the person to ask. You should talk to a breeder. However, this is what you need to know.

The fish need to be conditioned SEPARATELY. That is - out of sight of each other. Feed them high protein food - frozen bloodworms and the like. No pellets or flakes or freeze-dried stuff. This takes approximately two weeks. Spawning is tough on the fish, and they need to be in the best shape or they won't spawn.

You need to GRADUALLY introduce the female and the male in a separate spawning tank - not their own tanks. The tank should be large, with lots of hiding places and a bare bottom. Water has to be very warm - around 80 degrees or warmer. At this point, it really is up to the breeders to tell you what to do, because I've never seen this process happen (as I'm not a breeder).

Once they spawn, the male is left in the tank to take care of the eggs and/or fry while the female is put back in her tank to recover.

However, this takes months of research - you have to be completely prepared and know the consequences - what if you have deformed fry? Do you have homes for all the bettas? Why do you want to spawn? Do you have everything you need to for feeding fry?

There is a sticky in the breeding section - if you cannot answer the questions in there, you shouldn't even be thinking about breeding at that point.

That isn't the point, though. The main question is:

Are the fish separated?

Edit: JKfish and Darkmoon beat me to the punch! They do bring up very good points too.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #9 
Poseidon

Haha thanks man, i really wanted that kind of honesty and advice. i'll seperate em now. Can you post some more facts?

I'm sitting at 78 degrees right now, doin 25% water changes every other day, feeding frozen blood worms and "nutritionally balanced tropical flakes"

i'm thinking i'll put the female in a smaller tank and let the male roam free in the 5gal
Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #10 
gmd1800

Me? I'm not the person you should be coming to for breeding tips. I've never spawned, and I don't want to for a long time, if ever.

There are fantastic links in the breeding section and even more accomplished breeders (MrVampire, Martinismommy, and so forth) who would be glad to help you out.

Do whatever with the fish - put them wherever, just make sure they're separated and the girl is okay. I'm sure she's super stressed.