Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #1 
Musician

I bought 2 bettas

Hello, I just bought two male bettas. The crowntail is really hostile to my other halfmoon. He constantly wants to fight him. (no suprise there) The halfmoon doesn't want to fight. He tries to act like he doesn't see him. (poor guy) I got a tank with a divider so they won't kill each other. I fear the crowntail will constantly try to go after him and never stop. Will he get tired and leave him be eventually when he figures out he can't get to him?

Thanks
Musician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #2 
bettafish15

What size tank are they in? There should be room to add plants to either side of the divider to break up the line of sight.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #3 
Musician

It is a 2.5 g. There are a couple plants in there. They are not in the tank yet. I put them side by side in the containers they came in. I plan to put them in soon. That's why I'm a little hesitant.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

They should be in at least 2.5 gallons EACH... I would not put them in that small of a tank divided. The smallest tank you can divide safely is a five gallon.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #5 
Musician

Whoa. Seriously? That sucks. They need a lot of room then? I keep reading that they don't.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:52 AM   #6 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Whoa. Seriously? That sucks. They need a lot of room then? I keep reading that they don't.
Lol yeah, unfortunately there are a lot of bad myths floating around out there... all to make a sale. Easiest pet ever!, lives in a cup!, never have to feed it! never have to change the water!... etc... ugh. But don't worry, many of us have fallen prey to the lies, it's our recovery that counts. ;)
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #7 
Musician

That's just wrong. They're putting the fish's life in danger just so that they can make money off of them.

I'm gonna have to figure out something to do now.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 AM   #8 
Jupiter

If you do get a bigger tank and decide to divide it, you can put plants in front of the the divider so that they can't see each other well. Agressiveness is pretty normal, of course...most of the bettas get used to each other after a week or so.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #9 
Musician

Thanks for the tip. I just feel so bad. I can't get rid of them. We bonded. lol I've got to make a decision fast.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:12 AM   #10 
PewPewPew

Its okay, for now at least, to keep them in that tank. I think I know the very one you have, too. Please, try to get a larger tank to divide (at least 4-5 gallons), or get them separate containers to live in. They need at least 1 gallon of space each, but that is still very, very small. Opt instead for 2-2.5 gallons+.

While theyre together, please change the water at least every other day. This is because, in a small tank with two fish, ammonia builds up very quickly. Ammonia is toxic and can only be removed by live, stemmed plants or by water changes.

Take them out of the tank, put them in the cups they came in, do the water change (all the water, 100%), refill using conditioner, and then acclimate. Acclimation is when you allow the fish to get used to the water to avoid shock, which is deadly. "Bob" their cups for about 5 minutes, and after, add in new tank water to the cups (a little bit) every 5 minutes. This process needs to take at least 15 minutes. Then, add them in, avoiding getting any old water into the tank.

Quick facts:

Bettas need space, 2-2.5+ is ideal
Bettas need water conditioner, and not distilled water!
Bettas need a heater- 76-82'F, to live.
Bettas should be fed at least two pellets a day. (no once a week jobs here!)
Bettas need clean water. They need, in a 2.5 gallon bowl, a 50% water change every other day or every two days, and then a 100% change once a week.
(Yours is everyother 100% because there is so much ammonia)
Bettas need acclimation!

To keep stress down, keep the room dark and cover their tank with a shirt until you get a better habitat solution. Thats what Ive done! :)

This is a great tank btw:
I have one, divided: (kinda hard to divide, but not too bad) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aqua...-Pets/12177653

This would be PERFECT for you!!! :)
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Penn-Plex-...c-Pets/9904376

Very popular on the site:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258

And yes, bettas eventually (usually) stop going nuts over seeing eachother through the divider, especially when it isnt a clear one. It takes time, though. Keep the tank dark for now.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fight crowntail halfmoon