Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Downsizing to Kritter Keeper...

Hello again everyone. I've been off for the last 3 months working at petsmart, getting ready for college, getting two guinea pigs, etc. Now I'm back but unfortunately have lost all my 7 boys except one who looks to be on his last leg. My 20 gallon that was divided just got some sort of crazy bug.. anyway since I will be staying home for college I really want to get a betta for my desk but don't want a huge tank (i have a 5 and 10 gallon hiding in my closet but wont have the time to clean them long term). I have a 3 gallon kritter keeper I will use but are these fine long-term? And how often should I clean it (I'm a little rusty)? Thanks guys! Oh and have any other hints with kritter keepers?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #2 
denaliwind

Welcome back! Sorry about all your losses! :(
I know of several members that use Kritter Keepers full time for their bettas and a 3g is a great size. I recommend 100% water change per week with a 50% in between. Have fun! :D
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks! Can sea glass like purchased in a package from Michaels be used as substrate? Or even packaged shells? I've used packaged netting from there and haven't had a problem...
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have most of my bettas in 1.5 and 2.5 kritter keepers. I've used glass "rocks" from Michaels with no problem. Just rinse them off like you normally would.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #5 
laughing

I use the stones from the Dollar Store. I just get a baggy of them (They usually give you a little over a pound for $1) so with two you could definitely cover the bottom. And it looks gorgeous! I just boiled mine mildly before rinsing and putting in. They were in mesh netting so I was worried about them having cleaner or something from the store. But they've never harmed any of my fish!

Kritter Keepers are great! Especially since they're cheap. I love them because water changes are super simple. Take lid off, dump water out, fill back up! ;) I say get "larger" stoned substrate because this made water changes so much easier for me! Basically dump into a strainer, rinse with warm water, and you're good. Gravel tends to stick everywhere and I find marbles and such are harder to rinse out in a swipe or two.

Because they don't have light, I highly suggest using a desk light or putting in perameters of a window. That way he won't get direct sunlight, but will be in a bright portion of the room.

I highly recommend the Tetra Whisper 3i filter. I have 2 of them and never had a problem. (Except one makes bubbles after a day or two of no water changes, LOL.) And their intakes are at the bottom, not on the side like "grated" pieces. Therefore your fish would have to swim directly underneath to even get into the intake current. Plus, if your fish jumped into the filter (which is nearly impossible) there's no real electronic or super strong "sucking" system which will kill them to shreds. It also comes with an airstone so it really helps add oxygen to the water! Not to mention the out take flow was really gentle.

If you're on a budget, look at your local WalMart. They sell a package of 3 silk plants in most of them for $5.

Total I'd estimate you'd be around $30. Filter is usually $12, Kritter Keeper about $10, Substrate $2, Decor $5. Try and get discounts and coupons, those will help you! I know PetCos around me are giving $2 off coupons on receipts if you do a phone survey. And I'll give you a hint... If you press "3" on the first question, it automatically ends the survey and gives you the code! :D (Yes, I've taken this survey about 10 times. No shame.) So if you're able to get this, you could cut off a couple more dollars, which always counts!

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #6 
sully180

I have a 3 gallon kritter keeper. Charles Darwin has been living in it since mid way through fall semester I think. He's been pretty comfy in it. I haven't had any problems taking it to and from school, but I've heard these things can crack especially if you go over 3 gallons. I've also used gravel and glass rocks in it. I didn't see an advantage from using one or the other except for the aesthetic value.
sully180 is offline   Reply With Quote