Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #1 
SilverMagic

Hi, I've got a new fish. I have questions.

Hi,

My name is Jessica. Last Sunday I adopted a beautiful silver Betta fish with lavendar hues and black gills when he flares up. I have him in a Fluvo-Chi 5 gallon tank with a gentle filter and a heater with no other fish. It's Tuesday and the water is starting to look cloudy. I have questions about how frequently I should be doing partial water changes, how much water I should be removing. Please help, I want him to have the best life possible.
SilverMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #2 
laughing

Is the tank cycled?

If it is, then you should only be doing about 50% one week and 100% (or close to) the next week.

If it isn't cycled then you must do a lot more than that! I would say 25-50% three times a week until you start to get bacteria build up. It will stick to your filter media, decor, tank walls, etc. so water changes won't stop the cycling. It should take about 3 weeks or so for you to finish cycling with your little fish and then you can go down to what I said before.

I'd highly suggest getting an aquarium vacuum and a 5 gallon bucket. Makes water changes a snap! ;D Buckets can be found at hardware stores (like Home Depot) for $4 I think? Vacuums are about $8-$13. (BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY.)

Good luck!

P.s. Be sure to ALWAYS treat the water before putting it in the tank!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #3 
SilverMagic

I'm curious why a 5 gallon tank with a filtration system would require a 100% water change??? I assume that means taking the fish out, emptying the entire aquarium, rinsing everything plus gravel, then putting everything back in plus new water. It seems to me that would severely stress the fish out.

The tank is not cycled. Can I just do frequent partial water changes and then 50% once a week once the tank is cycled?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #4 
SilverMagic

Another question, how do you know when your tank is cycled? And what is causing the water in my tank to be cloudy? Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

No, a tank that is filtered does NOT require a 100% water change - matter of fact, that is a BAD thing to do!

The cloudiness you are seeing is most likely a bacterial bloom - the beginning of the cycle.

It would actually be best to get a liquid test kit so you can see where you are with the cycle & to help you determine when to do a partial water change.

However, since it sounds like you don't have a test kit I am thinking one 50% water change with gravel vacuuming & a 50% water only water change once a week. Probably for a couple months (8 weeks). After that, you SHOULD be able to cut down to one 50% with gravel vac a week - even though I do two a week on my cycled 5 gal. tanks, but I'm probably paranoid. :)

Make sure you have a good quality water conditioner like Prime - my personal favorite!!!!

Welcome to the forum & to the wonderful world of betta keeping!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #6 
TonyK

If your in the USA and in a pinch you can go to places like Petsmart or Petco and they will test your water for free. They won't break it down like the test kits you can buy but you will at least get an iea how you ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are doing.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #7 
SilverMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
No, a tank that is filtered does NOT require a 100% water change - matter of fact, that is a BAD thing to do!

The cloudiness you are seeing is most likely a bacterial bloom - the beginning of the cycle.

It would actually be best to get a liquid test kit so you can see where you are with the cycle & to help you determine when to do a partial water change.

However, since it sounds like you don't have a test kit I am thinking one 50% water change with gravel vacuuming & a 50% water only water change once a week. Probably for a couple months (8 weeks). After that, you SHOULD be able to cut down to one 50% with gravel vac a week - even though I do two a week on my cycled 5 gal. tanks, but I'm probably paranoid. :)

Make sure you have a good quality water conditioner like Prime - my personal favorite!!!!

Welcome to the forum & to the wonderful world of betta keeping!!!!
So a 50% water change (I do it with the gravel vac, it's easier) twice a week for 8 weeks and then switch to one 50% water change once a week when the tank is cycled and in the meantime I can buy a test kit to see if I will be lucky enough to have a cycled tank in 4 weeks. Thanks!!! I was worried!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #8 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMagic View Post
So a 50% water change (I do it with the gravel vac, it's easier) twice a week for 8 weeks and then switch to one 50% water change once a week when the tank is cycled and in the meantime I can buy a test kit to see if I will be lucky enough to have a cycled tank in 4 weeks. Thanks!!! I was worried!
Yup - that's about it.

Get a liquid test if you can, though - MUCH more accurate than the strips.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #9 
SilverMagic

Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #10 
iheartmybettas

Look forward to pics! Those Fluval Chi's are so cool looking! I agree with Lion Mom's suggestions. Good luck with the cycling!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote