Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 
khrusty

My new Betta Fish

Good afternoon from Oviedo, FL (part of the Orlando metro area) in Seminole County.

Here is my new fish Ocean. He is male and recently made his first bubble nest. He is happy.

Attached Images

khrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #2 
bettafish15

He's cute! :) That tank looks mighty small for him though. How often do you change his water? The bowl is a cute idea, if it were bigger ;) He needs a heater too, wouldn't want the little guy to be cold!

Last edited by bettafish15; 05-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #3 
bamsuddenimpact

what exactly do you have it in? Its very eye catching. How big is it? You may want to get a heater. And make sure to keep up with water changes :)
bamsuddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 
khrusty

The water is his tank is tepid and his bowl is filled with white gravel, a little shelter which is made out of white pebbles and some sea shells from Melbourne Beach.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #5 
khrusty

The water in his tank is tepid and his bowl is filled with white gravel, a little shelter which is made out of white pebbles and some sea shells from Melbourne Beach.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #6 
khrusty

The bowl is bigger in person than it appears on picture. The water is warm.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrusty View Post
The water in his tank is tepid and his bowl is filled with white gravel, a little shelter which is made out of white pebbles and some sea shells from Melbourne Beach.
Tepid isnt warm enough. Bettas need a temperature of 76-82F degrees, which is acheived by having a heater. That tank, cute as it is, is much too small to heat. In cold water your betta's immune system shuts down and he will get sick with the likely possibility of death. He would really be happier in a larger tank, at least a gallon. In that size, it looks to be under a gallon for sure, so you need to be doing 100% water changes every other day, so harmful ammonia doesnt build up ;) Sorry to overwhelm you with info, but I just want the best for your fish :D
Old 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrusty View Post
The bowl is bigger in person than it appears on picture. The water is warm.
Could you measure how much water is in it, by filling it up with rinsed out gallon milk jugs with dechlorinated water, and telling how many jugs it took to fill? Do you have a thermometer to know for sure the temperature? Water is always a few degrees colder than the temperature of a room. ;)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

He is pretty.Bettas do prefer larger space though...I personally wouldn't keep a betta in anything less than 2 gallons. In any tank 1-1.5 gallon or less unfiltered I do 100%water change daily or every other day at most.Are there any good pet stores/fish stores out in Oviedo?I am always looking for new places to shop for my fish and cats and dog..
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #10 
DarkMoon17

I actually have one of those fish shaped bowls from Home Goods, they are pretty small. There couldn't be more than 1/2-3/4 gallons of water in it. Bettas need at least 1 gallon, preferably 2 or more. And it should be heated. With that size set up you will need to do water changes daily. He is very pretty and will live a longer and happier life in a larger, heated tank :)
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean