Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #1 
caitic10

Is a 10 gallon big enough?

Hi!
I have a nice 10 gallon tank, with a filter, that currently has two old goldfish living in it. When they, pass away, I'm planning on putting a betta in there.

Is 10 gallons big enough for about three or four females?

caitic10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #2 
amberjade

OLD goldfish? You do know they can live for 30 years, right? And it is cruel to have even one in a ten gal?
Sorry, but methinks you need to find someone with a 55gal for them, or a pond.

As for your betta question, you could put a group of 5 girls in a 10, but make sure they have plenty of cover - they don't always get along.

Not trying to be nasty, just looking out for the welfare of the animals.
Posted via Mobile Device
amberjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #3 
iheartmybettas

That is kind of a morbid question. I mean I have thought about how in years I will buy giant bettas once my bettas die of old age but that is not any time soon hopefully.

If you don't like your goldfish you should see if someone will take them plus with 2 goldfish they should realistically be in at least a 40 gallon tank (20 gallons per goldfish) due to how messy they are. They die fast typically because people don't keep them in the proper size tanks so their insides outgrow their outsides. Definitely not a pleasant way to die. I really hope you do the right thing for them. They don't deserve to go out this way.

And 10 gallons is plenty for 5 or 6 female bettas...
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 PM   #4 
caitic10

Those two goldfish are tiny and are perfectly happy in their tank.

I don't mean to sound rude.... I just wanted to know. I've had very long living goldfish in that tank before. I know that they will live longer, I just meant 'old' because I've had them for a long time.

Thank you for your awnser.
caitic10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #5 
SashimiBetta

I have 3 Goldfish now, (got 2 yesterday) & I have a 10 gallon tank. So all I have to say is: Goldfish can live for a long time - So planning their death..well..might take a while.
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 
iheartmybettas

This was like a 5 second google search:

http://howtotakecareo***oldfish.com/...ish-bowl-size/

"The basic rule you should strongly consider following is that you need one goldfish per every 10/15 gallons or so. Some people say you need 20 gallons per goldfish but realistically, not everyone is going to have a 20 gallon goldfish bowl with only one goldfish in it? Goldfish can in fact survive in a smaller goldfish bowl but this will stunt their growth and potentially shorten there life-span. This will require a lot more maintenance to keep the bowl clean and the goldfish healthy (see Nitrogen Cycle for more info)."

While I still say 20 gallons per goldfish, I will take 10-15 per fish. Do a little research people...
Old 05-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #7 
iheartmybettas

And I'm really not trying to be mean. It just frustrates me to see fish in an environment that is to small. My daughter has 2 goldfish in a 30 gallon but the tank is filtered like a 55 gallon. Filtration also makes a big difference.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #8 
Teishokue

the goldfish isnt the problem here >.>.... ive kept many tanks overstocked. its just the matter of how the fish will acclimate to it and how well the owner cleans it.... <.< if you go females, should prefer small females -- young females rather than older. some females tend to "fight" depending which species you got. but younger ones in a group tend to be not as agressive if they are prone together for a while
Teishokue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #9 
trono

OP, you're being very vague. Words like "old" and "long time" are very subjective.
trono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 AM   #10 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teishokue View Post
the goldfish isnt the problem here >.>.... ive kept many tanks overstocked. its just the matter of how the fish will acclimate to it and how well the owner cleans it.... <.<
Not if stunting is an issue, which I believe it is for goldfish...especially commons, who will grow to be huge in the proper tank.

Anyway, to answer OP, 4 or 5 female bettas in a 10 gallon is fine.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote