Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #1 
JeanLuc2

Unhappy What is going on with my baby boy???

So, I have no idea what is wrong with my boy, and he won't let me get a good view of him so I can't tell if it's bloat or what-have-you.

Beginning around Feberuary or so my boy JeanLuc has taken to falling asleep straight up-and-down and then slowly drifting sideways. It freaks him out when he goes sideways so he wakes up and corrects himself. Lately though, it's been getting worse. For about 2 days to 5 days now he has been having issues. He has tended to want to live in his floating log more than anything. While he is living in his log he will fall asleep and drift off more towards the side. He will also try to swim but will randomly freeze up and drift towards the side. He is having issues balancing, and I can't figure out what is going on.

When he drifts to the side it will look like this:

I
I
I (<--normal)

-------- (<--what he's doing)

Please help me. I don't know what is happening. I have taken extremely good care of him. Cleaned his bowl once a week, fed him well but not overfed, used dechlorinator every time, and have always kept him quite warm. He does have the remains of several big bubble nests that have popped floating at the top of his bowl but he is working on more new nests.

:'(
JeanLuc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #2 
iheartmybettas

Please fill this out so we can help you better...

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #3 
JeanLuc2

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? I don't know. My thermostat broke in December and I haven't been able to afford a new one. It does have a heater.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes but I am not using it. It's a bubbler but my fish got stuck into it a few months ago and I tried to fix this problem by glueing a decoration on it with sealant and then the decoration fell off. I have yet to figure out how to fix that.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes but look above
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He lives by himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every day but Thursday when I fast him. He gets 2 bits unless I am feeling super generous when I give him 3 pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, and I don't have a clue where to get a test set.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His color has changed. It has gotten slightly lighter and slightly darker. His tails (the beard espicieally) has turned red with silver edges.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Please look at my original post. It explains everything.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? It has gotten worse in the previous few days.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I haven't started treating him yet since I have no idea what is wrong with him.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has had scares but he's never been full blown sick.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8 months...maybe.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

Honestly, it sounds like he might be suffering from bad water conditions, possibly ammonia or nitrite poisoning. Since he is in a 2 gallon you should change his water twice a week doing 1 50% change and 1 100% change. This is because ammonia builds up pretty quickly in a tank that size. It sounds like you might have already done this but you can just take the bubbler out. I am guessing it was supposed to be an undergravel filter but in that small of a tank they aren't ever really UGF's. It will also allow for more room.

If he seems bloated I would start him on an epsom salt treatment which is 1 tsp/gallon. You can premix it in a separate container. Do you have the original cup he came it? I would quarantine him in this cup and fill it with the premixed epsom salt treatment then float it in is primary tank, taping the cup to the edge so it doesn't dump over. You will need to change his water in the cup 100% each day and refill it with the treatment. What I would do is fill another cup with the new treatment water, float it in his tank next to him for about 15 minutes to get the temperature the same. You don't want to shock him since he is already sick acting. In addition, stop feeding him for about 3 days.

Also if you have a Walmart near you, their thermometers are about $1.50. You really need one to see what his temperature is at. He may be cold or too hot but you never know.

I do hope he gets better! Keep us updated on his progress.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #5 
JeanLuc2

Well I am getting ready to move back home from my dorm so I am kind-of putting off cleaning so I don't freak him out by getting him out of his bowl/changing his bowls and then having to move him again. I am planning to get him out of my room and back home first (I live locally within the city my college is at) given that he is possibly getting sick.

What would you suggest I do given that I am moving out of my dorm by Saturday? I do have a QT cup that my boy HATES to death.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #6 
iheartmybettas

When is the last time you changed his water? Since he is getting sick that is even more reason to change his water or it could get much worse. I understand you are worried about him getting stressed but a little stress is better than a lot sick in my opinion. I would do a 100% water change tonight and then do a 50% Thursday and Friday. He needs clean water to get back on his feet and 3 days can make a big difference.

For the bloating you could fast him for 3 days and see if it helps if you can't get epsom salt right away.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #7 
JeanLuc2

Like maybe a week ago, maybe a tiny bit longer than that.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #8 
JeanLuc2

definitely not over 2 weeks.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Yeah, I'd start making water changes, don't worry about his stress level, he'll be fine. Also, an aquarium thermometer is under 2$, so maybe your thinking they are more expensive than they really are ;) It's very important to have one so you know how well your heater is working to keep bettas in the range of 76-82F degrees. ;)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #10 
JeanLuc2

Ok I am going to go get his cleaning started by getting water in his extra bowl ready. I will let you know how he does once he gets moved over to the other bowl