Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #1 
Harley

He's worse! (sorry, its a bit long)

So Harley has been fighting fin rot for a while now even with several treatments including: aquarium salt (7days), Maracyn and Maracyn II, 1 tsp baking soda (~7 days) along with daily 100% water changes while in his 1g QT bowl. He started getting a bit of fin re-growth with the daily water changes and stress coat conditioner about 10 days ago. Yesterday he had a few more small holes at the tip of his tail fin (unfortunately doesn't show in pictures) and they're a little more see through than they were before. I'm not as worried about that as his change in color.

About a week ago (I know, but I was hoping it was temporary maybe from stress) his color went to a rusty / brownish color. He used to be primarily deep blue with orange highlights (mainly in his tail). The color though isn't getting any better like I had hoped. I just received today some IAL from Thailand which I just added to his QT bowl after doing his 100% water change. I also started doing 1 tblsp of aquarium salt again 2 days ago even though it didn't seem to make a difference last time with fin rot. He has also been occasionaly resting on the bottom for a few minutes at a time. He seems to do it for 1 or 2 days and then stops doing it for 1 or 2 days. When he does do it, he sometimes comes to the top but doesn't always try to get air but sometimes does. He'll just swim around the top part and the rest of the bowl and then head back to the bottom. He doesn't seem to be gasping or moving his gills excessively or anything either. The only time he does that is right after his water gets changed but he's over it in a few minutes. Help me save my fish! He's driving me nuts! He hasn't been 100% healthy since I got him as I bought him with fin rot. I feel like the worst parent ever right now . Thanks for your help everyone.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Housing
What size is your tank? 1g QT
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Small Tropical Fish Micro Granules
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 to 2 times daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily in QT
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0.25 (from tap)
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: 8.3 (from tap)
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Besides fin rot, he has has turned a rusty / brown color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Sometimes rests on bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week for color, 6 weeks for fin rot
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 100% daily changes and stress coat for fin rot. Aquarium salt and just received / added IAL today for color loss.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Got him with fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure. I think he's an adult and I've had him for 6 weeks.

Before (initial color):
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=13142

Now:
http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?a...ictureid=14455

Last edited by Harley; 05-13-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you have been treating him with some type of product for 6 weeks he may be getting toxic....sometimes you need to give them a break from all products except for dechlorinator if you are on city water supply.....

The color of substrate can cause color changes

I would mix up a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add half an IAL crushed up to steep and use this water for every other day 50% water changes in a larger container (1-2gal-unfiltered) either bare bottom or dark brown or black gravel for 3 days-no filter...then make 100% and repeat this for 7-10 days....

Nutrition-this is really important-if you have access to any live food like mosquito larva...mass feed this.....if not frozen is next best.....

Since you have ammonia in your source water...get some Prime to use as your dechlorinator....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Aw, he hardly looks like the same fish. :( I wish I had some great advice for you. I know you've been trying so hard to get Harley back to healthy. Glad to see OFL had some good ideas for you! You aren't the worst parent.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

Awwww! Poor guy! I hope he gets better!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #5 
Harley

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If you have been treating him with some type of product for 6 weeks he may be getting toxic....sometimes you need to give them a break from all products except for dechlorinator if you are on city water supply.....

The color of substrate can cause color changes

I would mix up a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add half an IAL crushed up to steep and use this water for every other day 50% water changes in a larger container (1-2gal-unfiltered) either bare bottom or dark brown or black gravel for 3 days-no filter...then make 100% and repeat this for 7-10 days....

Nutrition-this is really important-if you have access to any live food like mosquito larva...mass feed this.....if not frozen is next best.....

Since you have ammonia in your source water...get some Prime to use as your dechlorinator....
Ok, Thanks OFL! I'll try that. He was only on Maracyn and Maracyn II for the suggested (by package) 7 days so I hope he's not hurt from it. Interesting about the substrate, I never would have thought of that. I just assumed since he was in it for a while with no issues that it should have been ok. He's got a different brand of substrate in his regular tank. Is there anyway to tell when buying if the substrate is any good or not?
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote