Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #1 
moniibettalover

not very reliable heater:s

Hiii, currently i have a 25 watt adjustable heater in my 7 gal tank which im finding not very reliable. The temperature in the tank keeps going from correct to cold then back again , and thankfully my betta is fine so far but im sacred one day the temperature might drop so low he might die:( . Anything i can do about it? Is buying a new heater the only option?
moniibettalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 
iheartmybettas

Do you know what brand the heater is? The wattage may not be high enough so the heater is having to work to hard to keep the temp right. You might want to get a heater with higher watts. 25W seems kinda small for a 7 gallon.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 
moniibettalover

Its one of these, http://www.yourpetswarehouse.com/oth...w-heater-px495 , interpet deltatherm 25 watt heaters. The man in the pet store said 25 watts is enough but i was also thinking it might just not be enough
Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #4 
iheartmybettas

Unfortunately I know nothing about that heater. Do you keep your house pretty cool? Ours is typically around 72F so I use 50W heaters in the majority of my 5 gallons and 100W in my 10 gallons to make sure the tanks stay at 80F. I would recommend you either return it and try another to see if maybe it was just faulty or go for a bigger watt.

And welcome to the forum!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #5 
TonyK

I always say if you are questioning the reliablity of the heater just change it. Its probably the most important part of the tank and it needs to work.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #6 
Pekemom

I've got a 25 watt in my 5 gal. Maybe it's too small? I also notice mine turns off and on alot and it's not adjustable. I think I'm overdue for a new heater, too..
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #7 
Harley

It can depend on the brand of heater as far as how much volume it can handle. I've seen some 25W that'll do 6.6g and some that do only 5g. You may want to investigate another brand and make sure it fits your needs. Possibly you need a 50W, most are adjustable at that temp.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:19 AM   #8 
moniibettalover

I had this heater in my previous tank aswell (2gall) which was quite a while ago so i son't think there's any chance of returning it .I guess that's a new heater for me and this time 50watt...