Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #1 
lovebug009

Walmart sucks

I was just at Walmart, and I can't help myself and look at all the fish...The bettas usually don't look that great, but tonight I found a dead Betta that looked like it had been there for at least a day. Not to be graphic but it was putrefying. I called a manager and all she could say was they get fed every day......I told her it looked like it had been there more than a da y and there is no excuse for treatment like that. I called and left a message for the store manager and will follow up tomorrow.

My question is does the human society care about fish and who else can I report this to?
lovebug009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Call Corporate and find any and all managers and officials that you can rant to.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #3 
Luimeril

some of us care greatly about our fish, and other fish. sadly, many don't, and think of them as throw-away pets because they never get to bond with an amazing goldfish, cichlid, betta, or other amazing fish.

if you have a facebook, the group "Fight Wal-Mart fish cruelty" works hard to stop things like this. just, keep contacting them, leave them nasty notes and e-mails when things look bad, and don't let up. the walmart near me actually stopped ordering bettas, and is re-doing the fish supply section, and has no place for new bettas!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM   #4 
LolaQuigs

I don't know if fish are typically covered under animal cruelty legislation, so I don't know if there's anything the Humane Society can do. But whatever you do, definitely call your local WalMart district manager and complain. I would also contact that store and ask to speak with the store manager. You could also contact WalMart's corporate headquarters, though they're so high up they may not have much control over individual stores. I'd say your best bet is district manager, followed by store manager.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #5 
lovebug009

Made 5 phone calls spent over 30 minutes on phone and hold, and got the run around from Walmart, so I am not shopping there again......Next called local animal control to make a complaint of animal cruelty. Don't know if I made a difference, but I sure tried.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #6 
Cassiopeia

Wal-Mart used to sell bettas, but after a massive amount of complaints on how they were treated they never ordered another shipment and they updated their fish section. The fish that are ordered are now treated with much care and they always have a clean tank. I'm glad that they fixed the fish section, but a massive amount of complaints shouldn't have been necessary to help the poor creatures. If Wal-Mart would've used common sense the bettas would've been fine.
Cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #7 
lovebug009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post
Wal-Mart used to sell bettas, but after a massive amount of complaints on how they were treated they never ordered another shipment and they updated their fish section. The fish that are ordered are now treated with much care and they always have a clean tank. I'm glad that they fixed the fish section, but a massive amount of complaints shouldn't have been necessary to help the poor creatures. If Wal-Mart would've used common sense the bettas would've been fine.
"Wal-Mart used to sell bettas, but after a massive amount of complaints on how they were treated they never ordered another shipment and they updated their fish section."

So your complaints got your local Walmart to stop?