Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #1 
CyerRyn

Heat wave

I'm fairly new to Betta keeping as some of you all know. I got my first boy back in early January (he's doing extremely well thx to help from here) and since January in Wisconsin it was really cold.. our summer is a different story. I'm worried about their water temperature. We had our first really warm day (80F+ humidity) and I don't have air conditioning so I rely on just fans. I've been watching the temperature on my girls tank (a 7gal w/o a heater) rise from 75F to 82F from morning until now. I have a heated 10gal tank that looks like it's around 85F and turned the heater down to 79F in hopes it'll just stay shut off (which it isn't). I'm extremely worried for the day's when it gets to 90F+.. is there a way to keep these tanks cool? or is it okay for them to be in water around 85F+ during the day? I for sure can't afford some water cooler for them, but maybe someone knows some tricks to keeping the water temp. closer to 80F during hot days? Thanks for any responses.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #2 
bettafish15

On hot days, maybe turn off the heater and in a clean container float some ice in the tank?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #3 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
On hot days, maybe turn off the heater and in a clean container float some ice in the tank?
Would putting ice cubes in the filter work too if it's the plastic ones?
Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #4 
bettafish15

I don't know about plastic ice cubes, but the water is is cubes has chlorine in it, right?
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 AM   #5 
Harley

Lightbulb

I wonder if that's going to create cold spots in your tank wish could possibly shock your fish if they swim near it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #6 
CyerRyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I wonder if that's going to create cold spots in your tank wish could possibly shock your fish if they swim near it.
Even with the plastic cubes put in the filter chamber? I figured the filter would be able to spread the cooler water around more evenly and since it would be plastic cubes it wouldn't be adding any more water to the tank. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens when the more warmer day's come.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #7 
phoenix91

I had the same problem the other day. i wrapped clod wet towels around both my tanks and put baggies of chilled water resting on the filter outflow, one was resting on my sponge baffle. I figured the water would get cooler if it was running past the cold bag. it seemed to lower the temp by a degree or two.

I've been trying to keep my house cool to help with the temp control too. i closed the blinds and curtains and that helped keep the room temps cooler than the first hot day we had here.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #8 
falconboy99

I live in California, so i don't really know how the situation's like, but I always keep the tank in the shade.
falconboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #9 
Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyerRyn View Post
Even with the plastic cubes put in the filter chamber? I figured the filter would be able to spread the cooler water around more evenly and since it would be plastic cubes it wouldn't be adding any more water to the tank. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens when the more warmer day's come.
Sorry, I missed the filter part. I don't know if it would matter or not as the water would still get cool but may move through the filter quick enough to not be as big a problem. They may not last too long (before they melted) in there though.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote