Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #1 
Pollylop

Question A gift from Pa Pa...A terror for Momma. HELP! :)

For her 4th Birthday, my daughter got 2 Betta fish, the tank (A small divided tank that the sales lady said was made for bettas so that they could flare) and flake food from her Pa Pa.

Needless to say, I'm not a fish person...know NOTHING about them so I assumed because the box said so, that we had all we needed....boy was I wrong.

I'm here for help...so please help as I've come to enjoy and love these 2 little guys, but Rainbow, the smallest of the 2, is now having trouble. He tries to swim down but can't. It's like he's floating. Can anyone tell me what we need to do?
Pollylop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #2 
SillyCone

Welcome to the forum and glad to know you care about those lil' buggers!

Now, spend some 2 minutes fulfilling this form, don't worry, looks big and difficult but you can complete quite fast:

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #3 
Cassandra90

Your best luck is to get a 5 gallon and divide it for both can stay which will give each 2.5 gallons of swimming area.
I know on the site here most reccomend 2.5 gallons.

You will need a heater.
The tank should be heated 78 to 82F.
You do not need a filter (but it helps with water changes)
You can leave the bottom bare or use gravel.
Silk plants and hiding places for them.
Make sure to use water conditioner in the water.
With a 5 gallon I am not to sure if it needs to be cycled. (someone can help with this)

I am not to sure what could be wrong with your one guy I am not fimilar with diseases and illness.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #4 
Alex09

What size is the tank? Give us an approximation if you dont know for sure. does it have a heater? How often is the water changed?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #5 
Pollylop

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
What size is the tank? Give us an approximation if you dont know for sure. does it have a heater? How often is the water changed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyCone View Post
Welcome to the forum and glad to know you care about those lil' buggers!

Now, spend some 2 minutes fulfilling this form, don't worry, looks big and difficult but you can complete quite fast:

Thanks for the welcome. I've filled this out best I can. Thanks for any help!

Housing
What size is your tank? It is small, probably not even a gallon to be honest. It's one of those you get for betta or crabs...the sales lady insisted on it because she said with the removable blue divider that the fish would be able to see each other which would make them flare, yet they wouldn't be able to actually get to each other. That's the only thing I think she told my dad was that they couldn't be housed together or they'd kill each other. Said they didn't need a filter, heater, or any of that. Might just go smack this woman in the head later :).

What temperature is your tank? It's about 72 in the house. I keep it right at that at all times, but like I said, we don't have a heater for the tank.

Does your tank have a filter? No.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.

Is your tank heated? No.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No other fish in the same side as him.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley Flakes

How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times daily is what the bottle says. I feed them of a morning when I get up and I generally go with the fish at night...if they seem to come to the top when I'm talkin' to them and (Yes, it's weird but you'd just have to be here) swish around a lot, they're hungry...so I'll feed them again. But no more than 2 times daily. And I give just a pinch each time. (Meanin' they usually eat most of it within' a minute.)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 Times a Week. Thought I might be freakin' them out by doin' it that much, but that's what I was told was good.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All of it.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use bottled water with Start Right mixed into it. The sales lady said that if the water got cloudy to add "Clear Water" to it too, but I did that once and it made it worse so I don't use it anymore.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: I don't have any idea on any of these.
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The appearance is actually prettier than they were when we got them. They're healthy looking. Fins look beautiful all flared.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? This is the part that's changed. Rainbow kinda floats at the top of the tank now. He tries to swim down but it's like watchin' something swim up from the bottom of a vaccum...it just sucks him right back up. It's sad to watch actually.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday morning.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? We've changed the water and put Rainbow in a different bowl until we can get another tank. We also tried what the lady told us when I called the pet store and put a piece of saran wrap with holes punched in it over the tank and bowl to keep the air warmer in the tank. We've not fed them today as bad as that makes me feel.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. They've been wonderful up til now.

How old is your fish (approximately)?I'm not sure. We got them on April 15, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
Your best luck is to get a 5 gallon and divide it for both can stay which will give each 2.5 gallons of swimming area.
I know on the site here most reccomend 2.5 gallons.

You will need a heater.
The tank should be heated 78 to 82F.
You do not need a filter (but it helps with water changes)
You can leave the bottom bare or use gravel.
Silk plants and hiding places for them.
Make sure to use water conditioner in the water.
With a 5 gallon I am not to sure if it needs to be cycled. (someone can help with this)

I am not to sure what could be wrong with your one guy I am not fimilar with diseases and illness.
Thanks Cassandra! I appreciate all the help! Going to get a tank and all the accessories tomorrow when the hubs gets home, maybe that'll help Rainbow :)

If ya'll can think of anything I can do to make him feel better before then or anything that Cassandra may have left out, please let me know! Thanks again!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #6 
Cassandra90

Your welcome. I have a ten gallon I bought from walmart as a kit which was $45.00 which came with lid, lights, heater, filter, tank. I had it divided for a while, the divider I bought from meijer. You may need to resize it to fit.

Also if you do get this kit the filter needs to be baffled at its output, I took a water bottle and cut it down to make a U-shape then rubberbanned it over the outflow of the filter.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #7 
iheartmybettas

Based on your description, I would say he has swim bladder disease. The treatment that I have read about is to do an epsom salt treatment. Basically, premix 1tsp/gallon of epsom salt with dechlorinated water in a separate container until the salt dissolves. It is good you separated them for ease of treatment. Do a 100% water change everyday using your premixed water for 10 days.

It would be best if you could get some sort of heater to get his temperature up to at least 76 degrees. You can even use a heating pad on the lowest setting with some blankets or towels between the pad and fish tank. You would just need to monitor the temperature.

I hope he gets better and welcome to the forum!!
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #8 
GienahClarette

For the record, baffling a filter means rubber banding an aquarium sponge to the output. :)

It probably seems like a lot for you to take in. But, a little more room (a divided 5 gallon) will really let those little guys show their personalities.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #9 
Pollylop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
Your welcome. I have a ten gallon I bought from walmart as a kit which was $45.00 which came with lid, lights, heater, filter, tank. I had it divided for a while, the divider I bought from meijer. You may need to resize it to fit.

Also if you do get this kit the filter needs to be baffled at its output, I took a water bottle and cut it down to make a U-shape then rubberbanned it over the outflow of the filter.
I was lookin' thru some pics on here and saw a tank I liked. We can get them here for about $15 each. That way they'll both have their own tank. I think that's the direction we'll go. May cost more, but I think it'll be better in the long run. That way if one gets sick, it's not "sharing" the same water as the healthy one.

This is why I never had a fish tank. My daddy had one when I was a teenager and it was just awful. He spent half the night each night doctoring and cleaning and all that. He loved it though. But I just don't have the time to do that. I figured bettas might be different. Now I have 2 fish that are harder to care for than I was told and I've fallen in love with them and don't want them to be sick or die. And they are quite charming most of the time...lol. Guess I'm a fish lover now ;). Thanks again for the help!!
Old 05-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #10 
SillyCone

Try doing daily 100% water change at Rainbow for now, people say to put some salt thing, but that's for experts to say.

Try to take a picture for us of him, maybe you are missing something on him that we can spot right on!

Let's get this baby up and running! XD!

Also, I don't think flakes is a good food, I use mini granules for my betta because somehow they are always out of proper betta granules at my local pet store, but my betta love those mini things, haha, and I also use frozen blood worms as a treat, he loves those (now he does!).

---

edit: oh sheep I took 10 mins to reply and tons of ppl replied in front of me haha.
SillyCone is offline   Reply With Quote